ok, as you might now after reading this im new to linux. Now im on knpiix i ran a sudo knppix-installer and made it the promary OS on my PC, no more Windows.. any way, im a paranoid kid. How come knoppix doenst come with a firewall any one know? I want to install one but atm im reading up on how to do all of that. Any one know if knoppix has a firewall pre installed or do i need to installiptables or any othe firewall you recommend. Or couid I use WINE and run a windows firewall on here? I do have a router but i feel its not enough. TYIA. Sphyenx.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

I do not know enough about knoppix to see if it can survive as an installed, high-powered linux on a hard drive with the bells and whistles you would expect.

I work with RedHat, Fedora, and SuSE. All of them had options to install and configure IPTABLES... which was basically a script that called the program and configured it on the fly.

You might also have webmin at your disposal, and be able to setup SonicWall within that utility. I am thinking for my next upgrade of my main central server of going with the SonicWall defined within webmin.

DO NOT run WINE and a Windows firewall. Your core OS is Linux. You cannot expect a emulation to run in the right place of the operating system. Now, if you had a VM setup, then you could run a firewall within it, but no, not to cover the whole ball of wax.

Christian

thank you, cause i have no clue is linux is open to spyware either.. i need to look in to this.. What Anti Virii do you use, and what spyware etc do you use?

I have knoppix but not that version...
I use guarddog firewall...and Mepis as well as Knoppix

Preconfigured and no problems.
No one I know uses antivirus, anti spyware ao anti adware in linux... yet...

Mozilla Firefox takes care of most of the problems or pop-ups...
Mozilla Thunderbird will take care of you Pop3 E-mail

Just for a quick test go to grc.com and click on shields-up and you will get a free port scan to see how secure you are at the moment and what ports are open, closed or do not respond.

I have knoppix but not that version...
I use guarddog firewall...and Mepis as well as Knoppix

Preconfigured and no problems.
No one I know uses antivirus, anti spyware ao anti adware in linux... yet...

Mozilla Firefox takes care of most of the problems or pop-ups...
Mozilla Thunderbird will take care of you Pop3 E-mail

Just for a quick test go to grc.com and click on shields-up and you will get a free port scan to see how secure you are at the moment and what ports are open, closed or do not respond.

thank you for the feed back.

Knoppix should come with IPTables pre-installed, but you might have to install it. I don't know what the package for it would be called, but you might just be able to use apt-get to install iptables, since Knoppix is Debian based.

But, it sounds like you've got some skewed impressions of how to work with your new Linux system. Sure, you have to patch it, and it's a good idea to close as many ports as possible, but you should study up more on how to disable unneeded services and configure permissions, rather than concern yourself with the prospect of spyware and viruses on your machine.

Spynx,
While I was using guarddog and I checked it on GRC.com aka shields up...
I was protected but...
Some ports were not cloaked and full stealth...
They were locked down...
But they responded to a port probe as locked.
I prefer them to not respond at all.

I switched to firestarter...
Now everything is running in stealth mode.

To install...

Simple...

Open a terminal...
type su and then your password

type apt-get firestarter

an alternative...

Open Kpackage and do a find firestarter under the tab (ALL)

when it finds it click at the bottom where it says install

On a side note...

After your original hard drive install you should have gone to a terminal and done...

apt-get update

then

apt-get install

just to get things current...

I would advise against apt-get upgrade at his time...

Save that until something does not work for you...

As far as knoppix not having all the bells and whistles of a full blown Linux system...

Knoppix and or Mepis both do what I need it to do without all the FLUFF...

They are easy to work with, easy to add programs ...
I can do a full reinstall in about 10 minutes...

If you do outgrow Knoppix just look for another Debian distro-bution so that you can use more of what you have already learned...

If you jump out of Debian then you increase your learning curve...
Not a bad thing.. just have that understanding when you do switch...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.