I recently installed debian sarge in my system everything is working fine but the only problem is my sound card. I am using a asus k8v-x motherboard with amd64 2800+ processor. I tried configuring my soundcard with alsaconf. It does show me my sound card but I get the following message

Loading driver...
Starting ALSA.../etc/init.d/alsa: Error: alsactl restore failed with message 'alsactl: load_state:1134: No soundcards found...'.
done.
Setting default volumes...
Saving the mixer setup used for this in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1061: No soundcards found...

I have no clue what this is all about.
I checked the dmesg and it looked like my soundcard was detected but the lines that followed it didnt make any sense to me

ia 686a/8233/8235 audio driver 1.9.1-ac4-2.5
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:11.5[C] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 201
via82cxxx: Six channel audio available
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:11.5 to 64
via82cxxx: timeout while reading AC97 codec (0xAA0000)
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ADS112 (Unknown)
via82cxxx: board #1 at 0xC800, IRQ 201

It would be very nice if someone could help me with this

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

You'll need to recompile a new kernel in order to get that going...on slackware 10.1 I wasn't able to get it going until I recompiled a new kernel...had to go with the most recent 2.6.10

You'll need to recompile a new kernel in order to get that going...on slackware 10.1 I wasn't able to get it going until I recompiled a new kernel...had to go with the most recent 2.6.10

Thanks a lot TKS.... I got it configured at last ...I guess there was some sort a bug in my version of alsa.... I upgraded my alsa and then everything is working mow

Thanks a lot TKS.... I got it configured at last ...I guess there was some sort a bug in my version of alsa.... I upgraded my alsa and then everything is working mow

Sorry to jump posts here, but I'm having a similar problem. In a console I can run alsaconf and it will detect my via82xx and load it (seems to take out my TV tuner though as I have to re-configure that after alsaconf). Hear sound once both are configured. I run alsactl store but on reboot, I get the line no soundcard found. Run alsconf, it detects then run TV tuner detection, and then everything works. Wish there was a way to not have to do this every boot. I'm running Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.6.9. Just wondering if you did anything other then installing the newest alsa to fix?

Member Avatar for TKSS

Sorry to jump posts here, but I'm having a similar problem. In a console I can run alsaconf and it will detect my via82xx and load it (seems to take out my TV tuner though as I have to re-configure that after alsaconf). Hear sound once both are configured. I run alsactl store but on reboot, I get the line no soundcard found. Run alsconf, it detects then run TV tuner detection, and then everything works. Wish there was a way to not have to do this every boot. I'm running Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.6.9. Just wondering if you did anything other then installing the newest alsa to fix?

You should be able to store the module this sound card is probing. First you have to figure out which one it is for you sound architecture. Try typing: modprobe -l

in the terminal and try to track down which module alsaconf is loading (you should be able to tell when alsaconf is run...it displays the name of it). Then, you need to make sure that this module is being called during bootup. For my slackware distro I uncomment the line for the module in /etc/rc.modules (or add the line) in accordance with the manpage syntax of 'man modprobe' Then things probe during boot and everything is good. Let me know how it turns out. :mrgreen:

You should be able to store the module this sound card is probing. First you have to figure out which one it is for you sound architecture. Try typing: modprobe -l

in the terminal and try to track down which module alsaconf is loading (you should be able to tell when alsaconf is run...it displays the name of it). Then, you need to make sure that this module is being called during bootup. For my slackware distro I uncomment the line for the module in /etc/rc.modules (or add the line) in accordance with the manpage syntax of 'man modprobe' Then things probe during boot and everything is good. Let me know how it turns out. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply TKS. I found the problem to be in my /etc/modules-2.6.9 and /etc/modules. It was loading the oss driver via82cxxx_audio. I commented out the line and added in the snd-via82xx, snd-pcm-oss, snd-mixer-oss, and snd-seq-oss, reboot and everything is working great. TV tuner is configured and sound card is found. Now Freevo is working as it should. I was having problems recording line in but thats solved now. Thanks.

Member Avatar for TKSS

Thanks for the reply TKS. I found the problem to be in my /etc/modules-2.6.9 and /etc/modules. It was loading the oss driver via82cxxx_audio. I commented out the line and added in the snd-via82xx, snd-pcm-oss, snd-mixer-oss, and snd-seq-oss, reboot and everything is working great. TV tuner is configured and sound card is found. Now Freevo is working as it should. I was having problems recording line in but thats solved now. Thanks.

Cool! You have freevo? I set up a freevo box as an experiment using MEPIS...worked out of the box with an > apt-get install freevo

Glad to hear that things are working out! :cheesy:

Cool! You have freevo? I set up a freevo box as an experiment using MEPIS...worked out of the box with an > apt-get install freevo

Glad to hear that things are working out! :cheesy:

Well yes and no to freevo working. Still trying to figure out the right init scripts to use with tv_grab. I have one that runs but when the login screen appears, it does some weird overlay. I'm still tinkering with the right runlevel to startup at. Also, can't get DVDs in the drive to play, but can from the command line with mplayer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.