Hello all,
for upgrading, installing, deleting etc without get lost with the rpms from Linux 9 (redhat), get apt-get from http://apt.freshrpms.net/
If you want a graphical interface to apt-get, just type in a terminal
'apt-get install synaptic'
Or delete redhat and install debian unstable aka sid

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hey there. Thanks for the info. If you want even more info about using apt-get in RedHat 8, check out this thread:

[thread]378[/thread]

Hello,
I'd already read the thread, but from apt-get to redhat8 sucks, it' s a long way to go :)
Anyway, I'm using apt-get for debian since 3 years, apt-get for redhat9 for 2 weeks now (I hate rpm, you're looking to install ... let say xine and you still need 10 other before you can play a movie! Thanks, redhat !
So my point is that I search on the threads, but the info is well hidden :)
cheers,
gs

The apt-get upgrade & apt-get update Eterm command is the fastest way to get all the lastes patches and ect.... People who use Read Hat are behind in the times considering they are selling redhat away.
Ive been using the aKa stealth distro Libranet which is based off the Debian dist.
www.libranet.com (has its own forums) To bad you cant post from SuSE/FreeBSD/IceWM/ect....with Konqueror/Mozilla/Opera/Galleon...ect(this is confirmed from different IP's) on www.daniweb.com the page just times out. Thats why I havnt posted in awhile. Maybe thats why the Linux forum is so slow. Well Im through getting all my windows updates so later.

The apt-get upgrade & apt-get update Eterm command is the fastest way to get all the lastes patches and ect.... People who use Read Hat are behind in the times considering they are selling redhat away.
Ive been using the aKa stealth distro Libranet which is based off the Debian dist.
www.libranet.com (has its own forums) To bad you cant post from SuSE/FreeBSD/IceWM/ect....with Konqueror/Mozilla/Opera/Galleon...ect(this is confirmed from different IP's) on www.daniweb.com the page just times out. Thats why I havnt posted in awhile. Maybe thats why the Linux forum is so slow. Well Im through getting all my windows updates so later.

I have heard many good things about Debian. However, a friend of mine who uses Slackware introduced me to RedHat as my first Linux distro, and I never broadened my horizons :(

As for not being able to post, these forums rely on cookies enabled. Other than that, I don't know why it wouldn't work. :( I'll definitely look into it though. Thanks for the 411.

I have never had a problem with Mozilla or Konqueror from RedHat 9 w/ KDE. In addition, I use Safari on my Mac. OS X is BSD based and Safari is Konqueror in a cat costume. (Cat costume since OS X is codenamed cheetah/jaguar/panther).

Debian is like using Gentoo without having to compile everything...it's great if you like to have a slim system without extra unneeded packages

I have had very little problems with apt-get for Red Hat, as it works very will (made the install of DVD:rip 1000x better/faster)

http://apt.freshrpms.net/

I have no problems with apt and synaptic on RH9. Keeps my system updated painlessly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.