Hello Linux experts
i am very new in linux redhat 9 kernal 2.4.20-8
when i am trying to install yahoo messenger in then i got the following error can any one tell me how to slove it ?

[root@localhost downloads]# rpm -iv rh9.ymessenger-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm
Preparing packages for installation...
ymessenger-1.0.4-1
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/ymessenger: cpio: rename failed - Is a directory
[root@localhost downloads]#

thanks
i love this forum
knight

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I had a similar issue, the way I corrected it was by downloading the previous version of yahoo messenger, then I just realised that gaim was a better client, and used that. It appears that in the new version of yahoo messenger, it errors out if you have a previous version installed, which uses a different directory structure, by installing then using rpm -e to remove the older version, and trying the install again might correct the issue, or maybe doing a search for yahoomessenger and just moving them to a backup location.

Hello Linux Experts redhat 9

i am trying to install yahoo messenger that is in RPM Format in GUI Enviourment when i double click the RPM it Normaly install but Yahoo not shown in start-up menu
But when i try to install same package from TERMINAL using # rpm -i yahoomessenger.rpm
i got a message that can rename a directory

Any how I download a file Name gtkhtml-0.8 from yahoo site wich might be install first and then Yahoo works (I Think so ).
so when i use command #./configure than i got message

================================================
checking for gtk-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.3... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
configure: error: Cannot find GTK: is gtk-config in path?
[root@localhost gtkhtml-0.8]#
================================================

Can any one tell me how i install this GTK and what is this
thanks
knight

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.