Hi,
I would Like to access the Linux desktop from windows PC.
I don't want to use SSH console for I need immediately (Have no time for learning for now). TRied VNC, but I cannot access it from Windows. I'm stucked! I can Access my windows machine from Linux with KDE's remote desktop

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If you want to create a share on your Linux system that you can access from Windows, have a look at SAMBA.
Install SAMBA, configure a share in the /etc/samba/smb.conf and start the smbd service.

Can you Clarify? I'm yet to be a *nix geek :)

Can you Clarify? I'm yet to be a *nix geek :)

Forget my previous post... I was too fast... samba is for file sharing... thought you needed something that...

If VNC is not working, you might have a look into FreeNX. I have no experience with it... I just know it by name...

Hi,
I would Like to access the Linux desktop from windows PC.
I don't want to use SSH console for I need immediately (Have no time for learning for now). TRied VNC, but I cannot access it from Windows. I'm stucked! I can Access my windows machine from Linux with KDE's remote desktop

HI !!! Its quite cool. Start samba services on ur linux desktop (btw what linux flavor r u using? Redhat ??? Ubuntu etc etc...). For Fedora/ Redhat systems, execute this on terminal -
#service smb start
if smb is not installed then u need to first install it. Its in some "samba"/"smb" package. Cant tell you exactly right nw.

Try it n let us all knw !!!

do as title

Mandriva 2010

Go to the mcc "control center" your firewall needs to allow port 5900. You also need a vnc client on the windows box. Windows remote desktop is not going to work. Ultravnc should do fine.

Have been away from mandriva for a long time. It's were I started out.

I managed to forward X11 and used SSH.
It is elegant solution but you need stable X11 Server running.
Xming did a job though not very stable.

Thanks all

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.