I am wanting to put Fedora on my laptop that currently runs XP. I want to do a dual boot, thus I need to create a new partition. Here's the problem:

In XP, when I go to computer management, it shows that the entire hard drive has only 1 partition. There are 20 gigs of free space.

I have a bootable dvd with QtParted. When I run qtparted, it shows that I have essentially zero free space, so there I am unable to resize the partition. What gives? Why would windows show that I have 20 gigs free yet QtParted shows zero free space?

I am a major newbie just trying to join the 21st century so any help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

QtParted will show as free space only the unpartitioned space on the drive.
Your 20 gigs free space belongs to Windows partition? If so, I would resize the Windows partition (usually I use Partition Magic for this), and let the rest of the space to be partitioned during the install process of the Linux distro.

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot with partition magic.

I am wanting to put Fedora on my laptop that currently runs XP. I want to do a dual boot, thus I need to create a new partition. Here's the problem:

In XP, when I go to computer management, it shows that the entire hard drive has only 1 partition. There are 20 gigs of free space.

I have a bootable dvd with QtParted. When I run qtparted, it shows that I have essentially zero free space, so there I am unable to resize the partition. What gives? Why would windows show that I have 20 gigs free yet QtParted shows zero free space?

I am a major newbie just trying to join the 21st century so any help is appreciated.

Hello...check out this link ...it has a good guide on dual boot,windows and mepis.You should be able to use it for your install I hopehttp://www.mepisguides.com/install/install-dual-drives/Install-with-dual-boot-and-clear.html

good luck,Linux rocks(Mepis sure does)And they have an awesome forum with lots of knowledgable guys who like to help(Mepis lovers is the name)
Check it out :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.