Hi,

I'm trying to follow the pocket Linux guide to make a really basic floppy based distro. I'm trying to compile linux-2.4.37.9 as per the tutorial on ubuntu 9.04 with gcc-4.1. I tried using 2.6.* but it was just to big to fit on my floppy. Here is the error I'm running into:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/root/dev/linux-2.4.37.9/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fno-builtin-strpbrk -fno-builtin-sprintf -fomit-frame-pointer -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i386 -fno-unit-at-a-time  -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -E -D__GENKSYMS__ signal.c
| /sbin/genksyms -p smp_ -k 2.4.37 > /root/dev/linux-2.4.37.9/include/linux/modules/signal.ver.tmp
/bin/sh: /sbin/genksyms: not found
make[2]: *** [/root/dev/linux-2.4.37.9/include/linux/modules/signal.ver] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/dev/linux-2.4.37.9/kernel'
make[1]: *** [_sfdep_kernel] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/dev/linux-2.4.37.9'
make: *** [dep-files] Error 2

So, genksyms is missing but I'm unsure on what it is and how to get it.

Please help!

James

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm no expert but I seem to remember reading somewhere that you have to install all the kernel headers and source for the version of kernel your compiling...Did you?

I'm no expert but I seem to remember reading somewhere that you have to install all the kernel headers and source for the version of kernel your compiling...Did you?

Where can I get the headers for the version of Linux I'm compiling? I can only seem to find 2.6.* which is already installed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.