OK, I am very new to LINUX. I have actually never used it before. I just set up my computer to dual boot with Redhat 9.0 and winxp. Now in RedHat all I want to do is change the resolution to 1024X768. It keeps telling me that I need to log out and reset the X server in order for the changes to take effect. So how do I do that? I have tried rebooting the computer and no changes were made. I tried searching around the net for the answer but I can't find anything. Can someone explain to me how this works? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Try these steps:

browse for /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and open it with a text editor as the root user.

Scroll down to Section "Monitor" and change HorizSync and VertRefresh to the values found in the monitor manual.

Scroll down to Section "Screen" and add the desired resolution to the "Modes". You should have something like this: Modes "1280x800""1024x768""800x600" (make sure you change all the Modes lines). Save file, restart X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

I got that from hitting Google with the terms "resolution" and XF86Config, which is the configuration file for XFree86. That should do the trick, and it works on all distributions.

Scroll down to Section "Screen" and add the desired resolution to the "Modes". You should have something like this: Modes "1280x800""1024x768""800x600" (make sure you change all the Modes lines). Save file, restart X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Right. Also:

- The first resolution listed on the "modes" line is the default. If you want X to start in another res, edit that line so your desired res comes first.

- If you've configured multiple resolutions, and they all show up in the "modes" line, you should be able to toggle through them on the fly from within the GUI. Just hold down (simultaneously) CTRL+ALT+the +/ - keys on the numeric keypad. Using the "+" and "-" (hyphen) keys on the main keyboard won't work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.