Gday all

I have been trying to enable my usb key via Red Hat 9.

I have tried a number of things.

I have used the command "dmesg" after i plug it in and it does not list the usb drive there. I am looking for usb something ...and find nothing.

I have also went via systemsTools/hardwarebrowser which also does not show that the op system has detected it.

I am familiar with the process of mounting the drive once you have made a filename for it in /mnt but atm I cannot even get Red hat 9 to even see the usb conection.

Any advise please ?

Also note that I am using Virtual Pc with Windows Xp running in the backround.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you're running in Virtual PC, have you even configured the Virtual PC setup to pass on USB connections? I know that's something you've got to do in VMWare-- once I did that, I could use my USB hard drive with the Virtual machine just fine.

I also have a usb problem on CentOS4.
tail /var/log/messages:
Aug 23 09:17:00 host kernel: drivers/usb/core/inode.c: usbfs: mount parameter error:
Aug 23 09:17:41 host kernel: drivers/usb/core/inode.c: usbfs: unrecognised mount option "mode=0777" or missing value
I use ls -l /proc/bus/usb/
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Aug 22 12:40 001
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Aug 22 12:40 002
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 22 12:40 devices
They are there. But why it still cannot show the usb device by using lsusb:
Unknown line at line 5966
Unknown line at line 5967
Unknown line at line 5968
Unknown line at line 5969
Unknown line at line 5970
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
And have many unknown line errors.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.