which is better?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

OpenOffice is an open source group which branched development from Sun Microsystem's commercial StarOffice suite. OpenOffice is most well known for it's compatibility with Microsoft Office for Windows.

In other words, both OpenOffice and KDE Office are free. ;)

well sure i know this, but are they comparable or is there a clear winner?

Which is better, dunno, what is it you are trying to do? Why don't you try them, and find out which works best for you. I could tell you which one is the clear winner, but that won't help you. My needs will probably be differant than your needs. Try them both along with any other app that interests you, only you will know the clear winner.

With OpenOffice.org you have compatability across platforms, something you don't have with KDEOffice. If you're not going to be sharing documents with anyone, KDEOffice is fine, but there's a lot of functionality that OpenOffice.org has that KDEOffice is still missing. Also, OOo actually has support (mostly fee-based) that KO doesn't have, except for forums and newsgroups. That isn't really an issue for the home user, but corporations might find that handy. Since you didn't specify which target market you are inquiring about, I'm giving overall info here for both :)

Also keep in mind that there are more developers working on OOo at any given time, which usually means more features, faster revision releases, less bugs (on average) and better documentation.

"Which is better?" is a broad topic. "Which is better at handling MS Word docs?" would give a better indication about what features you are trying to compare.

What specifically were you trying to compare between the two?

Member Avatar for TKSS

OpenOffice IMHO is the best of those two. I use it for work (which we have Winblows2000 here) and I've never had a compatability issue yet. Once you have it opened up and are working on it, you can barely tell the difference between it and Macro$haft Werd.

id say open office is the better one...

Which is better, dunno, what is it you are trying to do? Why don't you try them, and find out which works best for you. I could tell you which one is the clear winner, but that won't help you. My needs will probably be differant than your needs. Try them both along with any other app that interests you, only you will know the clear winner.

While I personally am leaning more towards OpenOffice, I would definitely have to agree with this statement. Try them both and see what works for you. If you are just looking for something personal, to type of homework, and other documents and spreadsheets, then KOffice should more than suffice. If you need stronger portability to/from Microsoft office documents, and a stronger application, then try Open Office.

Just my two cents.

but openoffice is not fully compatible with microsoft office in terms of file format as microsoft word 2010 doesn't open .odf 2.1/more

but openoffice is not fully compatible with microsoft office in terms of file format as microsoft word 2010 doesn't open .odf 2.1/more

You dug up a thread from eight years ago?!! Times have changed since then.

In fact, the last I heard, development of OpenOffice has ground to a halt. LibreOffice is now the one to use.

You dug up a thread from eight years ago?!! Times have changed since then. In fact, the last I heard, development of OpenOffice has ground to a halt. LibreOffice is now the one to use.

No, openoffice is still in use now...infact apache is now developing openoffice and a newer version v4.0 is under development...Your news was correct but it was a year old...

Openoffice has been in the Apache incubator for long time now. The availability of languages is very poor which to me indicates the state of the package. Most Linux distributions switched to libreoffice soon after oracle got rid of openoffice. Also many developers switched to OSF. I am not sure if openoffice will ever catch up.

IBM symphony has made it's source code available to Aoo, so we can expect newer things in Aoo v4.0.0. by last quarter of 2012 or 1st quarter of 2013.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.