Hi guys,

var/www/ is set automatically set as web root when I install ubuntu.

I want to assign permissions to folders of a website if I want host one and the folders inside.

Please help me to assign correct and safe permissions to folders below. Also if you think the structure is wrong please feel free to change it. I see some folders are left outside of main root folder by some users but I don’t know why.

/mytestwebsite/ (root of my website) Permission = ?
/mytestwebsite/script/ (holds css and javascript files – Read only) Permission = ?
/mytestwebsite/include/ (holds some include files, header and footer like – Read only) Permission = ?
/mytestwebsite/class/ (holds important class files – Read only) Permission = ?
/mytestwebsite/images/ (holds all images like site images and user uploads – Read and Write) Permission = ?

Thanks in advance

/mytestwebsite/ (root of my website) Permission = 700
/mytestwebsite/script/ (holds css and javascript files – Read only) Permission =744
/mytestwebsite/class/ (holds important class files – Read only) Permission= 744
/mytestwebsite/images/ (holds all images like site images and user uploads – Read and Write) Permission =777

the permissions in octal

Thanks alaasam.

Just one last thing. If I keep class.database.php file (everything related database is in here, connections, SQL bits, etc.) in class/ folder would it be dangerous?

If I assign these permissions then I am safe. Do I understand right?

yes no one else can access them

Thanks

you are welcome mark it as solved please

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.