Hello
Just ordered an unmanaged VPS for hosting 2 websites.
I'm really new a lot for linux and have few background.
I've been goggling and followed some tutorials from howtoforge.com but really was not able to setup everything the right way.
I will need to install:
- apache - php - mysql - phpmyadmin - mail server - free control panel - securing the whole thing as much as possible.
I understand that there is no one to go through the whole thing with me step by step, but if you know any good books or detailed tutorials that would awesome.
Thanks
Mohamed GadAllah

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

basicly if you can get to a cli and type the commands each line is a seprate command

yum install httpd
yum install php
yum install mysql-server mysql
yum install phpmyadmin

each command will install something and you usally just have to say yes and it does the rest once everything is installed you have to start the services you do that with the following commands

service httpd start
service mysqld start

commented: thanks +0

yum install phpmyadmin

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: mirror.nwresd.org
* extras: mirror.grikare.com
* updates: mirror.its.sfu.ca
Setting up Install Process
No package phpmyadmin available.
Error: Nothing to do

Please advise

you think centos is the way to go?

Hi brother no one has time to through the whole thing seting up VPS is actaully kinda dificult task you have to make sure you have got firewall and all that kind of stuff in place.
Drop me an email i will try n send you the instruction.

Ok, I'll drop you a one :)

i think centos is good because its a striped down version of linux for enterprise
i have two production servers running it and a test server

can you help me for setting up my vps as i can not found a clear tutorials for this issues and only ubuntu available and many reporting that centos is far better.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.