Couple of friends and me came to an idea of making our own distribution.Our idea is to make Linux distribution suitable for not so geeky people(eg.older people like your mom or dad,or young people like children in elementray scholl).Thats how we started making Ubuntu Home Edition.Linux distribution based on Ubuntu that everyone can use.Theres no commom unnecesary problems that cause headache to your family.

We made our own update menager that allows them to update specific apps at time they choose.In addition to that UHE has enabled optition to clean it self every week,by "clean" i mean it cleans cache,history etc.
UHE comes preinstalled with all the software they could ever nedd browser,mail client,office client etc.

We think that UHE will be perfect solution for "familiy administrators",they will be able to setup UHE for their familiy,and just foget about it,no worry about av updates,product activations,maintaining computer.

UHE will come out very soon,in couple of weeks,and now you can watch short introduction video(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPVi4wCggdA&feature=player_embedded),and visit our web site(http://butterflycommunity.co.cc/).

I want to hear you opinion and recomondations as well as critics.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Oh great, thats exactly what we need. Another Ubuntu derivitive :)

RE: "made our own update menager that allows them to update specific apps at time they choos"
- Linux Mint did that already, no? - Check the code for mintupdate.

Well I think its good that theres so many Linux distributions.And no it`s not like mintupdate,at first idea was not to have any updates(no update menager at all),but people at other forums suggested that we do include update menager.So we came to idea to create our own update menager that will allow you to simply and i mean very very simply update apps that you want,all you will have is one page,with option to setup update maneger to update itself at specific time,update all option, and list of apps that you will be able to update with click of a button.

Is it using gnome-shell by default??, because i couldn't understand in video.
Anyway, it looks like macos, so new people to linux will like it, who used mac before.
If it is not using gnome-shell (you made something new), it is great idea ;)

Couple of friends and me came to an idea of making our own distribution.Our idea is to make Linux distribution suitable for not so geeky people(eg.older people like your mom or dad,or young people like children in elementray scholl).Thats how we started making Ubuntu Home Edition.Linux distribution based on Ubuntu that everyone can use.Theres no commom unnecesary problems that cause headache to your family.

I want to hear you opinion and recomondations as well as critics.

On the contrary, I feel that Windows is simpler than Linux. Installing applications on Linux is really a pain in the a** sometimes. :P

On the contrary, I feel that Windows is simpler than Linux. Installing applications on Linux is really a pain in the a** sometimes. :P

sudo apt-get install ... or sudo dpkg -i ... is pain and next next next next next finish is simple?

sudo apt-get install ... or sudo dpkg -i ... is pain and next next next next next finish is simple?

Sometimes... That is not enough! :P :D Nuff said :) ;)

Sometimes... That is not enough! :P :D Nuff said :) ;)

ok, one more way :
./configure
make
sudo make install

still simple :P

Tried installing wireshark? (on my system... I had to go thru hell)

Tried installing wireshark? (on my system... I had to go thru hell)

Wireshark is in the ubuntu repos?
If anything, its more difficult on windows, as you need WinPCap.

Yes it uses Gnome Shell 2.x with couple of modifications.For installing software you have official Ubuntu Software Center,so installing apps is really simple.Plus,you have all the apps that home user could need preinstalled so theres no actual need for installing another software.
P.S
We have done some test and installation of OS takes 15 minutes.Thats 15 minutes and you are ready to go.No installing additional software after OS installation or anything like that.15 minutes and your computer is reday to go.

You're right there... But since I've newly migrated to Linux, I seriously find Windows damn easier to hack into, if you can understand what I mean; I'm new with Linux, may take me some time to get used to it. I've been a Windows user for lifelong and now this! :D

I am familiar with that "problem",people are used to specific programs and OS.Guys behind Zorin OS have that goal,to make linux look like windows.I like gnome look more and i am sure you wont find UHE too hard to addapt and use.

P.S.
UHE is finished we are currently testing it, it should be out very very soon.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.