I'm looking to learn about linux; Computers in general (complete beginner).
All the online tutorials that i have used started off at basic level, then quickly go into complex computer jargon (I assume their intended audience were people coming from Windows).

I'm looking for a comprehensive book with no gaps in information. At the moment I'm looking at Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, A (6th Edition) and/or Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux, A (3rd Edition). Any help would be much appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I just finished Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification. It was really good but I'M now sure how good it would be for a complete beginner but I think it might do the trick. If I can get through it anyone can. Right now the latest edition is going for $126. Another one I used was "The Accidiental Administrator: Linux Server Step-by-step Configuration Guide".

Here a some for I found on amazon.

The Newcomer's Guide to Linux and Redhat
Guide to UNIX Using Linux (Networking (Course Technology))
Guide to Linux Networking and Security, 1st Edition
The Complete Guide to Linux System Administration, 1st Edition

This one sounds good and comes at a good price as well.
Linux Administration A Beginners Guide 6/E (Network Pro Library)
&
Essential Linux Administration: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners

You should also try and find a Linux user group near you and join it. I have one close by and I get a lot of help through the groups email system. Good luck.

my suggestion is to just start using it. You will quickly run into things you do not understand and consult the internet. Each step will bring you closer to understanding the system as a whole. No book, no matter how well written, is going to enlighten you better than hands-on experience.
Once you have a particular area you'd like to understand more about (more focused than just 'the system as a whole') you can look for a book that addresses that particular topic.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.