I'M trying to work my way through the linux from scratch project and I'M on page http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter08/grub.html I've really messed up my boot up process. I did make a boot disk as descriped in the above link.The computer originally had Debian (CLI only) has the host system from which I was building my Linux from scratch system. Now when I turn on the computer it has one OS in the list that's labeled "GRUB Linux...........", when I click enter the screen goes black and says "Press any key to continue", then goes back to the boot loader with "GRUB Linux...........". If I boot the system with the book disk it's just a prompt that says GRUB. Can anyone tell me how to repair my Debian bootloader from my current state? Thanks.

The one item in your list, is that coming from your boot disk, or is that the broken configuration left on your hard drive? Also, Im gonna assume your working with Grub 1 (as opposed to Grub 2.0; This is important...)

Its good that grub is loading, your probably just pointing at the wrong partition. What you need to do is alter the the 'grub.cfg'. If you think grub is loading from your boot disk, put that disk in another computer and you should be able to find the configuration file and make changes.

If grub is loading from your hard-drive (confirm this by removing boot disk, and if grub is still loading, you have your answer), your going to probably need a rescue disk at minumum to get you access to your boot partition (after which, you will be looking for the same 'grub.cfg')

Here is the part you are looking for...

menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.5.2-lfs-7.2" {
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.2-lfs-7.2 root=/dev/sda2 ro    

Try modifying the "root=..." part, example, change it to "root=/dev/sda1". It depends on which partition number your Debian installation is sitting on.

Do not just copy everything from that webpage verbatim, your going to have to use some deduction to find out which partitions you need to be working with. Go with a little trial-and-error, and post back what you find. Try to include information about your partition table as well.

If your comfortable with the terminal, dig around in the debian rescue terminal, I think you want 'grub-install', and that may autodetect and correct your bootloader. The rescue terminal also has some text tools (nano i believe), so if you can find your grub.cfg, you can just edit it from there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.