Hallo there,

I have Debian 6.0.6

can you suggest me what is the best way to recover user accounts?

I have a full copy of all data and I having problems recovering it.

Thanks advance...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Not enough information. If you have a copy of the data, and you have root (admin) privileges, then you should be able to access any of that data.

Next, what do you mean by "recover user accounts". Recover data? Restore user account to active status on the system? What?

Hi there,

thank you for your response...
I am able to aceess files, but here is the thing....
I have one pc that is running Debian.
I have second pc that is for restoring first one.

I installed Debian on second machine and copies all data from the first one and I can access them.

So the problem is, when I installed Debian on second machine I also created new root user and I have +4 account that have user-generated content.

Also I can acceess all data and simulate users by adding new users and setting up their passwords.

But the problem is that if I want to acccess PC with the Desktop on Second machine.
I got erros and the Linux Desktop on second machine is frozen.

You are not being very clear about "User Accounts" and what exactly your problems are. You just say it doesn't work, so what I say below I am guessing a bit

There are two separate ways of refering to the account - by the name the user logs in as - so if he logs in as "user" his data is typically stored in /home/user and subdirectories under it.

Secondly - each user has a "uid" (user id) which is a number normally for users starting at 1000 and increasing. The mapping from user to uid is in the /etc/passwd file. Controlling file access is via uid.

If you copy data between machines and the uids of the users don't match, then you will have access problems.

Thanks for the post,
Group information is stored in /etc/group

I think that I missed this one.. thanks for the help...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.