1.11M Members

Regex for .htaccess file

I've been really struggling with regex lately ... I never quite got the hang of it. I'm currently hung up on trying to match on the following in my .htaccess file:

^foo/([A-Za-z0-9]+)/([0-9]+)$

The catch is that I want the alphanumeric string to NOT be one of a short list of words i.e. (bar|baz|bat)

How can I match on any alphanumeric word as long as it is not in a list?

I did some more investigating and was able to get it to work (I think) with lookahead??

^foo/((?!\b(bar|baz|bat)\b).)*/([0-9]+)$

It seems to work but can someone confirm that I did it correctly??

On my phone ATM so can't test it out or anything. But in principle, it looks OK to me. Might be worth getting another opinion though. I'm a little rusty with regex's myself! :)

Well, in all honesty I thought you had been banging your head on the keyboard when I first saw it. :D

After seeing this and thinking about it, this is fascinating methodology, and I've begun studying it.

This subject is still way above me so I can't make a conclusive comment here, but I did find this regular expression tester. At the moment I can't see how it works, and it may not be advanced enough for what you are looking for.

Isn't it about time forums rewarded their contributors?

Earn rewards points for helping others. Gain kudos. Cash out. Get better answers yourself.

It's as simple as contributing editorial or replying to discussions labeled or OP Kudos

You
This article has been dead for over six months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: