how to Implement a Virtual Machine (VM) of Windows on Linux platform and also instal all features of windows on it. for the user it should look alike windows but actually performing his applications on linux platform

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Here is a good step-by-step tutorial (for Windows XP, but I'm sure you can figure out how to do other versions too).

for the user it should look alike windows but actually performing his applications on linux platform

There are actually many versions of Linux that do look or can look very familiar to Windows users. And many windows applications can run in Wine. The KDE-based distributions (with Plasma desktop) can actually be customized to look almost identical to any version of Windows (from win95 to win7) or any version of Mac OSX, at least, on the surface (look and feel of the desktop). So, I think that what corresponds better to the description of "looks like Windows but is Linux" are one those Windows-looking Linux distributions, not Windows running in a VM inside Linux. The added bonus is that you don't have to pay for all the software that you would normally use in Windows (unless it is specialized software, most of which are also available for Linux nowadays).

I run a number of Windows applications with Wine on my Linux machines, and if they are cleanly written they work just fine. Many are not and won't run well in Wine. In that case, either you find a Linux equivalent, or run a real Windows OS in a virtual machine, which I also do. For example, my main software engineering tool, Sparx Enterprise Architect, runs perfectly with Wine, but my Fidelity stock/options trading software will only run in a real Windows environment. Fortunately, it still runs on XP, so I haven't had to pay for the XP->Win7 upgrade! :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.