Member Avatar
leghorn
Light Poster
48 posts since Aug 2011
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

***Hey y'all

I have been trying to compile the kernel version 2.6.21.7 in fedora 14 32-bit which already has 2.6.35 version.Need multiple kernels for a project :)

Yeah,so when i run the make oldconfig command,i get the issue that says ::: "Makefile:412: *** mixed implicit and normal rules.  Stop."
I somehow rectified that and when i run the same command again, ::: "Makefile:1441: *** mixed implicit and normal rules.  Stop."

help would be appreciated much :)

~peace***

Member Avatar
leghorn
Light Poster
48 posts since Aug 2011

Aso note that the gcc version is "gcc (GCC) 4.5.1 20100924 (Red Hat 4.5.1-4)"

Member Avatar
rubberman
Senior Poster
3,999 posts since Mar 2010
Reputation Points: 513 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 501 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 87 [?]

Use virtual machines to install/test new kernels first? I don't think that a 2.6.21 kernel will work with FC14 as there are SERIOUS deltas between the 2.6.2x and 2.6.3x kernels which require different user-side application versions to run. IE, won't work unless you also downgrade just about everything else on the system!

Member Avatar
leghorn
Light Poster
48 posts since Aug 2011

@rubberman :: GREETINGS !!

I have tried all the cominbations in makefile of the same,so what you say can be the crux

~peace

Member Avatar
rubberman
Senior Poster
3,999 posts since Mar 2010
Reputation Points: 513 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 501 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 87 [?]

FWIW, I do use multiple kernels as well to test stuff out, and they are alternatives in my grub menu, so I can boot which I prefer, but they are generally just a point difference or two from what is the default for the system. Example, I run a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone, Scientific Linux, with the current 2.6.32-279.19.1 kernel, but I also sometimes run earlier versions of the 2.6.32 kernel, such as 2.6.32-202, etc. As I suggested before, when I want to vett kernels that are very different (older or newer), then I install an appropriate base system in a virtual machine and start with that. VirtualBox (free/open source from Sun/Oracle) has worked well for me for about 6 years now. I use it on both Linux and Windows hosts.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article