Hey there everyone! So, I am trying to implement a home network and would like it to run on either a Debian or Ubuntu server possibly virtualized with both on a XenServer.

Anyways, my question is, would there be a way to create a domain like AD without having to use any Microsoft Products? I assume LDAP would be implemented somehow, but from what I've read it doesn't acutally do permissions as much as a way for AD and Unix machines to communicate (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

My home network has my box (Ubuntu) as well as another PC with Windows 7 and an XP machine.

I'm doing this more as a project to put on future resumes and to just say I did it.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Sounds like you need to install SAMBA.
LDAP permits authentication unto/from a Linux box, I am not sure if one can use it to replace an AD domain.

OpenLDAB for Linux will work well with AD, with some caveates. For the most part, it works. Go to http://www.openldap.org/ for more information.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.