instead of disabling acpi, you could use irqpoll

And make sure the info looks correct.

Umm, and what should that look like? :)

I have two wireless routers; "linksys" and "marks"

When i try to connect to linksys, the "Access Point" is "invalad", but when i connect to "marks" i get 00:50:18:3D:83:F8...

I NEED to connect with "linksys" because the marks router isn't compatable with my laptop's wireless... don't ask why...

AAAH!!!!!!!!! STILL NO CONNECTION!!!!!!! :mad: It still gets "Timed out"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When i try to connect to linksys, the "Access Point" is "invalad",

That's your problem right there. When you connect to your router using iwconfig, it must show the MAC address of the router when your wireless card is listed. If not, it's useless trying to use dhcpcd.

Are you close enough to the router to get a decent signal? Do you have any sort of encryption enabled on your router right now? If so, turn it off (temporarily). What channel is your wireless set to? Go into your router configuration, and write down all the current settings. Then make sure to configure these on your wireless card, using this as a guide:
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl8_iwconfi.htm

Don't even bother dhcpcd-ing if iwconfig doesn't report the MAC address of your router.

I am only 20 feet from my router... If i can find my router CD i will play with the settings. I dont think i have encryption set...

I am only 20 feet from my router... If i can find my router CD i will play with the settings. I dont think i have encryption set...

Is your other router a Linksys model, too? Then all you should have to do is make sure the settings from "mark" are mirrored on "linksys".

Just checking: have you ever connected successfully to this router on any other computer? If not, then your router could also possibly be at fault.

no, the marks router is a crappy "encore" one...

I am using the linksys router right now to send this messge from my deskop (running windoz xp) via wireless...

I just changed some settings, and nothing happend. The access point is still "invalad"... :(

Truthfully, i am getting sick of this...

no, the marks router is a crappy "encore" one...

That's odd, you would think that the superior Linksys brand would function better than the Encore. The only thing that keeps me from thinking this is a driver problem is because you sucessfully managed to connect to the "marks" access point with iwconfig.

So you can list the access points with iwlist and the Linksys router shows up, correct?

I am using the linksys router right now to send this messge from my deskop (running windoz xp) via wireless...

I guess the Linksys router doesn't show anything about connection history of your Linux computer in its log? It probably won't have it, but it's worth a try. If it shows up, then at least you're getting somewhere.

I just changed some settings, and nothing happend. The access point is still "invalad"... :(

Just a thought, did you check that Encore and Linksys routers are on the same channel? If they aren't, you'll need to do some adjustment with iwconfig.

Truthfully, i am getting sick of this...

I've been where you are at now. The MacBook I am currently typing from has caused me much trouble trying to get Linux wireless drivers working. It was very frustrating, and oftentimes I wanted to give up.

My suggestion: relax, go to sleep (assuming of course it's evening where you are), and give some thought to the whole issue. I know you aren't a Linux expert, but I'm not either, and these problems can eventually be solved by some simple tests. So don't wear yourself out; allow your brain to work on it. It's amazing what you can think of while you're sleeping. ;)

So you can list the access points with iwlist and the Linksys router shows up, correct?

Correct.

I guess the Linksys router doesn't show anything about connection history of your Linux computer in its log? It probably won't have it, but it's worth a try. If it shows up, then at least you're getting somewhere.

I don't know how to view the log... how would i do that? Even if it doesn't get me anywhere, it would be interesting to view! :)

Just a thought, did you check that Encore and Linksys routers are on the same channel? If they aren't, you'll need to do some adjustment with iwconfig.

No, one is on 6 and the other is on 11... Would this be a problem?

It's amazing what you can think of while you're sleeping. ;)

It is, isn't it? :D I love debugging! :)

Aaah, i remember the good old days of QBASIC... aaah, the hours i spent debugging... Now those were the good old days! :) Now i get to experience the whole thing again with C! :D yay! (for some reason i am seriously happy...)

relax, go to sleep

Good idea... I have a huge test in school tomorrow (it is some writing test required for graduation...)

I don't know how to view the log... how would i do that? Even if it doesn't get me anywhere, it would be interesting to view! :)

Nearly all routers have a log that can be accessed by logging in, and under the "stats" page or something similar. And yes, logs are always interesting to view! I like to visit my router's log every so-often.

No, one is on 6 and the other is on 11... Would this be a problem?

I think that's the problem right there. I believe you manually have to set the card's frequency can channel unless it's the default. Which one is on channel 6 and which is channel 11? I might try something like this if I were you:

# iwconfig eth1 channel 6

Assuming, of course, that your Linksys router is on channel 6 at the moment. Then try connecting to the access point again with iwconfig, and see if it now shows the MAC address.

It is, isn't it? :D I love debugging! :)

Aaah, i remember the good old days of QBASIC... aaah, the hours i spent debugging... Now those were the good old days! :) Now i get to experience the whole thing again with C! :D yay! (for some reason i am seriously happy...)

Don't we all? If there was no challenge to programming, I don't think I would do it. My greatest joy in programming is overcoming a huge problem in my code. For some reason, that makes me feel all happy. :D

And good luck on your test; hope you have a fun graduation when you're finally finished!

i heard you mention that you cant use the one working router as it doesnt work with your laptop fir some reason? that may be as most routers come as g out of the box and older laptops use the b stadard - set your router to b/g mixed

When we got our internet installed, the jerk that setup the encore router didn't leave any utilitys... so i can't reconfigure the encore router unless i get the utilitys for it...

I don't remember off hand, but think the linksys is on 11, and "marks" (which is no longer hooked up) was on 6... When i get home tonight, i will mess with it...

you shouldnt need the utilities
you go to its ip adreess usinga web browser (usually 192.168.1.1)

To do what?

to cinfigure it

here is what happens when i go to 192.168.1.1 (my router is a linksys)

Ok. When i type in iwlist eth1 scan , it says that the linksys router's address is 00:14:BF:C7:C4:D8 But when i do iwconfig (after connecting to the router, it still says that the Access point is invalad...

What is going on?

to cinfigure it

here is what happens when i go to 192.168.1.1 (my router is a linksys)

That is awesome! :D thanks!

But when i do iwconfig (after connecting to the router, it still says that the Access point is invalad...

What is going on?

That's after adjusting the card's channel with iwconfig?

Now that you can configure the Encore router, perhaps you want to try connecting to that one instead just to see if Internet access works on that one at least?

This certainly is strange...

And yes, you can configure nearly every router using your web browser. If you don't know the IP address, you simply list the connection status (on Linux you would use ifconfig ).

First of all you should have been asked which version of MEPIS are you trying to do this with?

Secondly if you don't have synaptic package manager installed as part of your original install then you are playing with an older version of MEPIS from 2004 probably 3.3 . I think we started getting synaptic on 3.3.1.

Thirdly you can find almost every program that you may need right from synaptic package manager. Synaptic package manager is preferred over kpackage. Synaptic package manager honors MEPIS configuration better than kpackage.
I looked in synaptic and wlassistant is in there for the taking. No compiling, no .tar. conversion. Just right click the program that you want from synaptic and choose 'mark for installation' Follow the next prompts and that's it. No sweat. No dpgk this or that. No konsole input needed whatsoever.
The version of MEPIS that I am using has some assistants.
To find them I go to kmenu, system, MEPIS, MEPIS Network assistant. It's all there. MEPIS System, User, and X Windows assistants can all be found in the same place.

I am booting from simplyMEPIS 6.5 Rc1. It's the newest test version of MEPIS that is out today unless you use an amd 64 then there is the same version only for 64. Mine is the 32 version. I can read and write ntfs with this new version of MEPIS.

So I would say to you to download a newer version of MEPIS. You can get torrents of the newest versions at linuxtracker. Some of the mirrors had incomplete versions that did not match the md5sum. The linuxtracker isos have good md5sums.
If you need any help setting up grub so you can boot to as many linux's as you have room for then let me know. I boot nine different linux's at this time and I am always trying more. They all boot using grub. All of the linuxs but one have grub loaded to root. Only one version of MEPIS has grub loaded to the Mbr of hda. That is the one to edit. I don't want to derail this thread so if anyone needs help with grub then I will post a how to.

I don't remember what version it is. I know that it was the newest version available, though. It was downloaded on 1/14/07, so which ever version was most up-to-date then is the one i have.

I will boot to mepis again later to figure out what the exact version is.

I know that this has nothing to do with this particular thread, but i am currently downloading OpenSUSE 10.2. I have heard it is pretty good (but then again, i heard that mepis was good...)

Ok. I can wait for that. Tell me which version of MEPIS that you are talking about and I will tell you how to install things that you want from synaptic package manager or kpackage. If you have 6.0 then you should be able to go to kmenu, system, synaptic package manager. When you open synaptic go to settings, repositories and enable any repos that are not enabled. Here is a copy of the sources.lst that you should have in /etc/apt/sources.lst for SimplyMEPIS 6.0. Just copy and paste the whole file into your ect/apt/sources.lst. Then comment out any duplicate sources by putting a ### mark in front of the line. Do this as root and save your work by left clicking the floppy icon on the sources.lst page.

# See sources.list(5) for more information

# This file should be edited through synaptic

# MEPIS improvements, overrides and updates--the MEPIS magic
deb http://apt.mepis.org/simply32-6.0/ mepis main

# MEPIS backports (disabled by default)
# deb http://apt.mepis.org/backports32-6.0/ mepis main

# Ubuntu foundation packages
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy main restricted
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper main restricted
# Security updates
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-security main restricted
# Package updates
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-updates main restricted
# Backports of newer packages--unsupported and not thoroughly tested (disabled by default)
# deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-backports main restricted

# Free unsupported packages from Debian and beyond
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe
# Non-free unsupported packages from Debian and beyond
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper multiverse
# Backports of newer packages--unsupported and not thoroughly tested (disabled by default)
# deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-backports universe multiverse

# Some multimedia packages not available elsewhere (packages may be restricted in your jurisdiction)
deb http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ dapper free non-free

Now after you have put these sources in your etc/apt/sources.lst then open up synaptic and hit the reload button. Wait till the reloading is over then just shop through synaptic for any program that you may need or want. If you don't know what the name of the program may be, and they have some doozers, then just use synaptics search feature and enter a description of what you want. I have found many replacement type programs to choose from this way. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.