jrwilmoth 0 Newbie Poster

Hello,

I have used different versions of Samba over the years and always had this problem:

My SMP P2-450 Slot1 OpenSuse 10.0 server is supposed to be a really stable file server, among other things. And that it is! ... except for the file server part.

Whenever I try to transfer large files and / or many files (or even 1 file over a 100MB) from Windows and / or Linux clients to my server, I cross my fingers. Invariable, smbd freezes on my server and locks all network activity to the server. It doesn't respond--period. No ftp... no VNC... no SSH... not even a ping to my server works. Poor me has to walk over to my server, pick up the keyboard, and type "shutdown -r now" to reboot my server so life can go on. Unfortunately, Samba keeps doing this over and over.

Now, I'd suspect my server... perhaps hardware or something... if the exact same problem didn't happen on all my Samba file servers. Yeah, I have at least one other one... a totally different computer... much newer, that does the same thing.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

James