I believe I have an older version of explorer that was installed by previous owner two years ago (ver.4?). After running "PCBugDoctor" and "Spybot", and shutting down the computer, I found I would get to the point where the wallpaper would load up, then the error message pops up, saying due to a problem with explorer, it has to shut down.

I had just made a Windows boot disk on a floppy for this computer, but in 'safe' mode, or any other, I cannot get around it freezing up. figured out how to do 'scandisk' from the DOS, and that didn't do anything. I ran a diagnostic thru DOS, and got a 'modem error.' Truth is, I don't know enough about DOS to get explorer OFF the machine, because I don't intend to use that computer for the internet anyhow, but as a learning tool for noninternet programs, to watch downloaded movies, when the kids are on the internet computer. Before it shut down, it was running one movie just fine, but it was slow due to the 85 percent fill....

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I had just made a Windows boot disk on a floppy for this computer, but in 'safe' mode, or any other, I cannot get around it freezing up. figured out how to do 'scandisk' from the DOS, and that didn't do anything. I ran a diagnostic thru DOS, and got a 'modem error.' Truth is, I don't know enough about DOS to get explorer OFF the machine, because I don't intend to use that computer for the internet anyhow, but as a learning tool for noninternet programs, to watch downloaded movies, when the kids are on the internet computer. Before it shut down, it was running one movie just fine, but it was slow due to the 85 percent fill....

If it says 'Explorer' and not 'Internet Explorer' then it basically means The thing that allows you to navigate folders. You'll notice that if there is ever an error with explorer the taskbar will disappear - as that is to do with navigation. So don't try to uninstall it - you'll end up having to reinstall the OS.

I'm not sure about the modem issue. It could be something to do with out of date drivers, corrupted drivers or an incorrectly configured modem. Check the settings and find the most up to date drivers for the device.

As a last resort, back up crucial data, reformat the HD and reinstall the OS.

The message I am getting, without the icons appearing, only the wallpaper, is "explorer" is "closed for illegal operation and will be shut down. If problem persists, contact the program vendor. Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module explorer.exe at.... registers ......"

All I want to do is get to the Windows page with the icons, but cannot. What do I need to do, besides erasing my entire drive, to get this done? I have a copy of Windows SE, but not Windows Plus... if I get a copy of Windows Plus, can I reload that somehow to repair the exporer.exe?

Like I said, I have no interest in the modem operation. I wish to use the numerous programs loaded in the machine that exists right now, and I just noticed the modem is plain too slow even if I did use it, from the description by the machine.

Anyone with an idea other than deleting everything? This computer didn't come with disks....

actually this problem is caused due to spyware and malware.my suggestion to you is not to visit any websites which you do not trust .and according to my knowledge nothing can be done now to repair windows.you will have to reinstall win98 from command prompt. no other choice

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.