Windows 98 no service packs

I just installed a new hard drive and modem. I need to change the color settings on monitor in order to install internet service. Problem is that it only gives me the option for 2 bit or 16 bit color and I need higher for internet installation. I am trying to install the driver for my hp mx70 monitor that I downloaded from hewlett packard site but monitor still does not appear in the list of monitors. I had to save the driver to a floppy and transfer it to the other computer since no internet on it.
Monitor is supposed to be plug n play but disconnecting and reconnecting and restarting computer does not work either.
Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

you should be installing the driver of your vga card not the monitor ...

I have a hp pavilion 520w computer. It had 40GB hard drive and I just upgraded to 120 GB. I am trying to get my hp pavilion mx70 monitor to work with windows 98. I originally had XP on computer with no restore discs (everything was preinstalled). How do I find the driver for vga card? Will it be on hp website?

You need to first install your motherboard drivers, then the drivers for any other devices you have installed. If you don't have a CD or FD with these drivers, then you may need to open your computer to get the manufacturer and model number off the motherboard and each card you have (ie video, audio, NIC, modem). You would then need to use a computer to go to the various manufactures' websites to get the latest drivers for each device.

It's possible HP could have drivers on their website for their computers, I've never had one so I've never checked. You will need the model number of your computer if they do.

Your monitor doesn't really matter, what you mainly need are drivers for your motherboard (and video card if not on-board video).

I found out my Intel processor won't work with Win. 98 and that is part of the problem. Now I have all the drivers so hopefully I will have everything resolved as soon as I finish installing XP. Thanks for all of the help!

I found out my Intel processor won't work with Win. 98 and that is part of the problem. Now I have all the drivers so hopefully I will have everything resolved as soon as I finish installing XP. Thanks for all of the help!

An Intel CPU that won't work with Windows? How did you find that out?

Windows 98 no service packs

I just installed a new hard drive and modem. I need to change the color settings on monitor in order to install internet service. Problem is that it only gives me the option for 2 bit or 16 bit color and I need higher for internet installation. I am trying to install the driver for my hp mx70 monitor that I downloaded from hewlett packard site but monitor still does not appear in the list of monitors. I had to save the driver to a floppy and transfer it to the other computer since no internet on it.
Monitor is supposed to be plug n play but disconnecting and reconnecting and restarting computer does not work either.
Any suggestions?

If you haven't somehow deleted the hidden system partition that Windows XP and the bundled software was stored on, you could follow the instructions in the product documentation and restore the system to its original state. Why anyone would remove XP and put Windows 98 on a system is beyond me!

But if you really intend to use 98 you'll need to provide a model number for that HP Pavilion, so people can locate the device drivers you need and tell you where to get them (if they exist for Windows 98, that is ;))

Dear Sir,

I have a LG Flatron W1943C Color Monitor and i am a graphics designer. so i just want to do monitor color callibration. what can i do

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.