I just sent an email to the wrong person - the guy I'm applying for a job for. I know he hasn't opened it yet because its Sunday. Is there ANY way to get it back???????

Please help! I'm desperate. A pending job could depend on it.

Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

Don't think so ,imagine if people could just get into your computer and fool with your email ,did I say that !:).

Does hotmail have a help desk? I'd like to ask them a couple other questions too.

The only way I know of deleting sent mail before it's read is if you have AOL and the person you're sending it to also has AOL.

if you are using outlook, open the sent message, click actions & "Recall this message"

too late in this case i'm sure but it's a handy thing to know.

You need to learn attention to detail.

I just sent an email to the wrong person - the guy I'm applying for a job for. I know he hasn't opened it yet because its Sunday. Is there ANY way to get it back???????

Please help! I'm desperate. A pending job could depend on it.

Thank you!

This world would be a lot nicer place if there weren't so many smart ass people in it, as in Mr. or Miss kmase. Did you happen to notice rkvandyk's post; that a pending job could depend upon it? OF course, you are probably Mr. Perfect, who never makes mistakes and has a nice comfortablre job.

I was going to ask the same question about a message I sent from Yahoo. I know how to do it in Outlook and there are probably others, but I think most don't.

Is there any tolerance or compassion left in this world of ours? I see less and less all the time and this is a perfect example.

Did I make any mistakes here?
Joe

Hi Joe ,only thing you did wring was wake up a old thread from 03' LOL
Have a nice Day !:)

were you able to retrieve a sent e-mail? I don't know if I can retrieve an e-mail sent through Juno if it's still unopened
Thanks
Carlene Vaitone

were you able to retrieve a sent e-mail? I don't know if I can retrieve an e-mail sent through Juno if it's still unopened
Thanks
Carlene Vaitone

Hello ,I have never seen an answer to this question ,i base my comments on the fact that the email is sent ,gone to the recipent ,just like putting a letter in the post office to send ,you can't get it back ,its gone to the recipent ,not yours anymore,now the property of, in my case canada post !!

attempted advice to open sent item and click 'actions' but can't find 'actions' anywhere in Outlook Express. Where would it be?

Welcome to Daniweb Clem,Carlene Vaitone and Joe :)

I hope you like it here!!

I dont think theres a way to retrieve a message you send..

Retrieve or Replace Messages You Already Sent (Outlook 97)

If you and the recipient of your mail are both using Outlook, you can retrieve a message that you need to change, or wish you hadn't sent. To do this, the recipient must be logged on, using Outlook and the message must be both unread and in their Inbox. To retrieve your message, open your Sent Items folder, double-click the message, then select Recall This Message from the Tools menu. To recall the message, select Delete Unread Copies Of This Message. To replace the message with a new one, select Delete Unread Copies And Replace With A New Message. Click OK, and type a new message. If you'd like to know if the recall worked, select the box labeled Tell Me If Recall Succeeds Or Fails For Each Recipient.

new outlook is with actions menu

Please help, i have also sent email by mistake using windows live messenger, it is possible to retrieve?

Please help, i have also sent email by mistake using windows live messenger, it is possible to retrieve?

not likely

Can I retrieve an email I should not have sent?

I think I just learned the real value of holding my tongue. Perhaps I deserve the fallout.

Once is sent, barring that 0.001% chance you have the same email client (such as Outlook), with similar settings, all you can really do is float an extra email to apologise for mishap and move on. At the end of the day, we're all human and we all goof up from time-to-time... put it down to one of those blonde moments and move on :)

Like the postal analogy, if "the check is in the mail" it belongs to the recipient. You get 2 chances with email. When you compose and proof read it. And when you push the send button. Some people mentioned Outlook. That program just stores outgoing mail until it sees an Internet connection. Usually right away. After that the mail servers do their jobs right away.

"Go to sent Items"

Open your email that you want to recall

In the "ACTIONS" Tab click on "OTHER ACTIONS"

And then "RECALL THIS MESSAGE"

Please note that this will only recall email that has not been read.

And you will get individual alerts letting you know if it has failed
If you do get these alerts then the person has read the email

This is still doable with Outlook 2010, only difference is you need to double click on the sent email, this will open it in a new window. from there you need to click the "file" tabin the top left and select "Message Resend and Recall" (2nd big button down) and select "Recall this Message" from the drop down menu.
However with modern hand held devices giving people near to instant access to thier email 24/7, the likelyhood is you will be too late, but its worth a try to save face. It will provide you with success/failure status for each recipient.
I found this trying to help my boss, he just sent a huge email around half complete, he got 50% failure rate after the 5-10 minutes it took to look this up, to give you an idea of how lucky you'd have to be to get them back before people see them.
moral of the story is, always put the address in the email after you've composed it.

Today I did the same mistake, I have commented badkey on a message sent by an important international figure. I suppose to foreword the email to one of my friend but by mistake pressed reply.. Any way what happened with your job? All went very well?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.