Amgeek 0 Newbie Poster

I need help describing my problem. What is the name of the screen that you see with the various users listed as Vista Boots?

I need to know that because whatever the name of that screen is, it is the last screen I see, for about 5 or 10 seconds, before the computer I am working on shuts down and restarts.

I cannot get to the desktop (it reboots as soon as I try to click on a user and the word “Welcome” appears), I cannot start it safe mode (it reboots before it gets there), I cannot start it with automatic restart on system failure disabled– it just restarts so I do not see any bsods and error numbers . I cannot believe that Microsoft designed this OS so that it cannot be overlaid, (reinstalled over itself) without destroying users accounts and programs the way that XP could

I have cleaned a number of virus from the system and check the drives physical interity by scanning it with another computer. I have also found (and removed) one stick of bad memory. I have tried working with the Windows RE (Windows Recovery Environment) from the installation DVD. It runs through its startup recovery, it reports that Startup Repair could not detect any problems, yet when I the machine and then it reboots when it gets to whatever that screen is called.

I can get to the Windows RE command prompt (not safe mode command prompt) if I boot from the install DVD. I have tried to run SFC, eventmon, and eventvwr from there but they don’t seem to work.

Can anyone help me?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.