For the last few days i hav been unable to access any net password survices, such as hotmail or my messanger,or windows update or my ebay, basickly most things that u hav to sign into,if i try through the internet i jus get a page cannot be diplayed message, and if i try through msn messanger or windows messanger it says signin name does not exist of pasword incorrect but i know4 deffinate that they are, as i can access them from college.
i recenty had the coldfusion virus from football manager, but as far as i know i hav succsessfully deleated all of the virus, from other threads on the site.
does anyone else hav this problem or any advice on what could be causing it?
yours sincerely josh

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What firewall are you using? Try altering the program internet access options i.e make the firewall allow your programs to access the internet, or to allow individual programs like MSN and IE to access the net. Also, your privacy settings on your firewall or browser might be the problem, i.e. cookies. Cookies are required for sites that you sing into, so if you've disabled cookies you'll never get into those sites. If you use Internet Explorer follow these steps:

In your browser window, click Tools > Internet Options... then click the Privacy tab on the top (its the third tab across from the left). Set the slider to Medium setting. Try logging into your web sites after this and see if it helps. If not, also try adding specific sites to your allow list by navigating back to the Privacy tab again, and then click Edit... on the very bottom. In here, type the addresses of each site that you want to allow cookies for. Make sure that when you type the URL that you click Allow and not Block ;) This will instruct Internet Explorer to allow cookies from these sites regardless of what other cookie settings you may have. Type address like hotmail.com and ebay.com (or .co.uk) etc.

If all of this doesn't work, try adding log-in sites to your trusted zone in your security settings. Be careful and make sure that you can in fact trust the sites in question - sites like Hotmail and eBay should be safe enough. To add these sites to the trusted zone, navigate to the Security tab in your Internet Options (the same way you get to the Privacy tab). Single click on the Trusted sites symbol (the green circle with the white tick) and then click Sites... directly below it. Untick the option at the very bottom, and then add websites into the list one by one. Like hotmail.com, passport.com, ebay.com, etc. When you've done that, click OK and before exiting the internet options go back to the first tab, which is labelled General. In here, click Delete Files... and then check the box in the confirmation dialogue labelled "Delete all offline content" before clicking OK. Try and log into your MSN and login websites again, and if that doesn't work, try headbutting the monitor! lol

To summarise:

1. Alter your firewall's settings to allow specific programs/websites to use cookies and to have access to the internet.

2. Alter your Internet Explorer's privacy settings to permit cookies for your required websites.

3. Add trusted websites into the Trusted Zone in your Security settings.

4. Delete your cahced files - this can solve a lot of problems.

5. If all of this fails, become violent.

6. After you calm down, try running some virus scans and spyware scans. If you need more information on this let me know (I've made this post too big as it is! lol)

Good luck! haha

Hey my wife had problems logging into MSN Explorer, MSN Messenger, and even going to msn.com in IE or Slimbrowser and trying to log in she kept getting page can not be displayed. so I checked windows update and got an error number 0x800B0001. So I could not run any updates. Well I found the solution to the problem by doing a search for the error number the below instructions below should take care of the problem for you and it is very easy to do. You can also go to the link provided below. Just rememebr if you ever have a problem with getting to a webpage check your updates manually by clicking Start, Control Panel and in left hand column Windows Updates. If you get a error message on that page copy it and paste it in the search baqr on that page and start reading, this will more than likely lead you to the fixing. Also becareful of what spyware programs you are running and what you delete you do not want to delete anything necessary to run your OS.

Click Start menu, and then click the Run icon.
In the small box that Opens, type the three letters: cmd then click the OK button.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813442

In the command prompt window that just opened (a black background and white text), type the following commands, pressing the ENTER key on your keyboard after each line:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Now type the word: exit and the window will close. Now Reboot and try and reply the Microsoft Patch again...

Reboot your machine and try Windows Update again. This should now cure your 0x800B0001 error message problem...

:mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.