Can't turn off proxy server in my connections setting

Member Avatar
cajunsunshine
Newbie Poster
15 posts since Dec 2004
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Every time I uncheck the boxes for the proxy server in my internet options settings it keeps being reset. I even restart the computer. Can I do this in safe mode? I am having trouble accessing certain sites in IE and Mozilla browsers too.

Member Avatar
suRoot
Posting Whiz in Training
207 posts since Apr 2004
Reputation Points: 11 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 9 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 1 [?]

try ticking the automatically detect settings and SAVE it does this help?

Member Avatar
TheOgre
Posting Whiz
390 posts since Aug 2003
Reputation Points: 77 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 9 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 1 [?]

Is this a machine at home or at work?

Member Avatar
bbman
Junior Poster
179 posts since May 2010
Reputation Points: 12 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 10 [?]

(Posted with a public account)

I had the same problem. In Windows XP SP3, Control Panel > Internet Options (to open Internet Properties dialog), Connections tab, LAN settings. In "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings" dialog, section "Proxy server" had a check for "Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections).".

Clicking Advanced showed me my proxy settings, which I wanted to disable, but whenever I uncheck the box in the "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings", or delete the info in the Proxy Settings dialog for HTTP and its Port, the "Use a proxy server..." box would be checked after closing and re-opening the "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings" dialog, and the data in Proxy Settings dialog would be back.

Solution: In the Proxy Settings dialog, delete not only HTTP and its Port, but the contents of the Exceptions text area. My Exceptions text area said something like "example.com;;*.local". Click OK. An "Invalid Proxy Server" dialog appears. Click Yes to turn off proxy connection, and it finally stayed off.

Member Avatar
bbman
Junior Poster
179 posts since May 2010
Reputation Points: 12 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 10 [?]

(Similar problem of proxy turning back on could be due to malware or registry changes / network policy. See stackexchange for more info on those.)

Member Avatar
will.marshall.12
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Dec 2013

Thanks so much bbman!! :D I've been fighting with this for weeks, although I cant help but wonder what prog set this in the first place...

Member Avatar
will.marshall.12
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Dec 2013

shoot the problem came back!, any ideas?

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: