It took 9 reboots to make it back on this page, so please someone help me figure out my PC problem. It keeps freezing up when I surf the Web, it can't seem to stay on for more than a few minutes at a time, I recently upgraded from ME to XP, I've downloaded Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Spyware Blaster, they seem to do their jobs, but my PC still freezes. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. Thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

How much ram do you have? XP uses alot more ram than ME does, Also explorer has to use alot of memory. So that may be your problem, either go back to ME until you get more ram or just get more ram pronto, unless you want to wait 25 min for anything to load. I went through these growing pains as well, it sucks.

Did it run okay right after you installed XP, or have you been having trouble ever since?

Try running the programs you mentioned in Safe Mode. While still in Safe Mode, do this as well:

Open Windows Explorer, Folder Options, Tools, View, and select "show hidden files and folders," and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

For every user account listed under C:\Documents and Settings, delete the entire contents of these folders:
Local Settings\Temp
Cookies
History
Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Delete the entire content of
C:\Windows\Temp folder
C:\Temp folder

Do a search for *.tmp and delete everything found

Empty your Recycle Bin

Let us know how much RAM you have, as previously requested, and let us know if your system runs any better after doing the above.

Thank you for all your advice, I've been trying to reply for the past few days, but my PC keeps freezing. I delete alot of things you suggested, it still freezes, I have 128 RAM, I will have an extra 250 ram installed next week. Do you think that will cure the freezing problem? Please let me know. Stressed out over this.

I had the same problem with my pc ... when I had it checked by a hardware technition ... he told me that some of the capacitors on my motherboard were not working .... Is your hardware doing well?

... it still freezes, I have 128 RAM, I will have an extra 250 ram installed next week. Do you think that will cure the freezing problem? Please let me know.

See how it runs after you add the additional RAM. If you still have problems, try WinSocks Fix:
http://www.digitalminds.net/index.pl/downloads

I have same problem with comp when on internet, it freezes and is slow and freezes all the time, I have xp with 896 mb of ram and 2.11 ghz. I have Norton 4.0 360 and have ran anti-v scans and there are no threats.

Internet Explorer has crashing or freezing problems. I would suggest to anyone who has this problem to download any other browsers like Google Chrome, Opera, Mozilla Firefox. All these browsers are free and work better than IE

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.