If you have a PC shared with your friends, your brother or your cousin; your private files, videos and images are always at risk of getting seen by them. An easy way to protect your file from others is to make them “super hidden”.Super hidden files/ folders become system files and changing the super hidden property of these files and folders is normally not possible.Super hidden files/ folders cannot be viewed even if the “view hidden files and folders” setting is ticked.

How To: Create A Super Hidden File Or Folder In Windows Vista Or In XP

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

oh...i dint knwo that this is possible othere than making the file hidden

Just a pity that the folder will still show up in an ftp application, like filezilla.

Why not just zip it and password protect/encrypt?
Because system, read-only, archived, hidden files are annoying for the system, it keeps asking: "Are you sure?" on vista.

Why not hide it using some sort of rootkit? perhaps abuse the ADS feature of the NTFS filesystem.

use some software like Folder lock or something

TrueCrypt can create a fully encrypted and PW secured volume, and can even go so far as creating a hidden volume within that NOONE can ever see. Access to either the main volume or the hidden volume within is determined by the PW entered on mounting - enter the PW for the outer volume and the inner "hidden" volume remain invisible regardless of Windows settings.

Is a free open-source app, which is a huge bonus :)

NB: you can even use TrueCrypt to have hidden OS installed on your machine.

ur thread was very helpful. someday when my knowledge is full i will sahre it to all of you here.

i used to use the recycler to hide files, then one day all the files disappeared, i swapped the hard drive to a new computer and that computer deleted the folder

i used to use the recycler to hide files, then one day all the files disappeared, i swapped the hard drive to a new computer and that computer deleted the folder

I'd say that wasn't the brightest place to hid files :) :)

This method also works well - tried and true ;)

http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-hide-files-and-folders-in-a-jpeg-image-file/

used that to make this

@echo off
//use this to hide files
//create a new folder
//put this file the zip file you want to hide and the jpg you want to disguise it as
//in the folder

copy /b *.jpg + *.zip ahkay.jpg

copy paste that into a notepad and save it as (whateveryouwant).bat

The trick in this article certainly does make the file or folder hidden from normal view, but not unusable. The only way I could find to access the folder is via command prompt window. In practice, I suppose you would have to remove the system file attribute, do whatever you want to do with the folder, then apply it again when done.

The trick in this article certainly does make the file or folder hidden from normal view, but not unusable. The only way I could find to access the folder is via command prompt window. In practice, I suppose you would have to remove the system file attribute, do whatever you want to do with the folder, then apply it again when done.

If you read to a comment I made on that page; in Win7 at least I don't get a context-menu option to "unpack"... which I actually prefer.

I always keep a shortcut for WinRAR on my desktop, meaning I can drag-and-drop any form of archive-type file (not only the hidden file created using this method, but even a Windows doc/docx file) and crack it open in an instant. What I love about this method is I can drop onto the WinRAR icon, open up and even ADD to the contents, and it still ends up looking like a JPEG image.

The beauty of this method is that most ppl wouldn't even think to drop a JPEG file onto WinRAR.

For Hidden folder this is the trick

Right Click under any drive and create a new folder.
Now press F2 to rename the folder and type the following alt+0160
this would make you a folder with no name at all.
Now right click and navigate to properties and to the customize tab and there under Folder Icons click on Change Icon and select an icon which is blank one and click on apply and ok
There u go ur secret hidden folder is there ready.

Note: When u put the Thumbnail view and the List view a Blank thing will appear. so not for this one.

Wow !! That was a fantastic read. Didnt know this could be done at all !! Thanks for the method

For Hidden folder this is the trick

Right Click under any drive and create a new folder.
Now press F2 to rename the folder and type the following alt+0160
this would make you a folder with no name at all.
Now right click and navigate to properties and to the customize tab and there under Folder Icons click on Change Icon and select an icon which is blank one and click on apply and ok
There u go ur secret hidden folder is there ready.

Note: When u put the Thumbnail view and the List view a Blank thing will appear. so not for this one.

two probs with this one:

• Have heard of this from time to time... but no-one ever say how you actually access said folder (as presumably Windows explorer won't show it, as is "super hidden", and with no name, can't open using the Run console!
  • That method won't work in Win7 (nor Vista from memory) as that method of ASCI-character input is no longer supported. You'd need to use Character Map to select and copy a blank character space instead.

Of course using TrueCrypt to create a folder with a hidden inner volume works a charm as well as above techniques... TC even allows the installation of an entirely hidden OS ;)

NB: Just playing with said method, can set as hidden folder, but with hidden files visible, still get an unusual entry listing in Windows Explorer when in list or details view which would be sure to raise the curiosity of anyone... make it more of a target not less.

two probs with this one:

• Have heard of this from time to time... but no-one ever say how you actually access said folder (as presumably Windows explorer won't show it, as is "super hidden", and with no name, can't open using the Run console!
  • That method won't work in Win7 (nor Vista from memory) as that method of ASCI-character input is no longer supported. You'd need to use Character Map to select and copy a blank character space instead.

Of course using TrueCrypt to create a folder with a hidden inner volume works a charm as well as above techniques... TC even allows the installation of an entirely hidden OS ;)

NB: Just playing with said method, can set as hidden folder, but with hidden files visible, still get an unusual entry listing in Windows Explorer when in list or details view which would be sure to raise the curiosity of anyone... make it more of a target not less.

Hai pal
I have mentioned this one just for an purpose that u can do that without using any third party applications...
and one more thing if u want to use any other applications then try using the PCSECURITY which would work more efficiently without anyone having the fear of getting it uninstalled ,where as truecrypt can be uninstalled by any administrator or a power user.
After this all the data stored in the hidden folders is gone for nothing...:(
And for the thing os accessing the hidden folder which i have told u can do that while navigating to the details view..I have already mentioned that in the note..

I'd say that wasn't the brightest place to hid files :) :)

Hi Try this one to create a folder which u can see that but when u double click on it, it will open some other file/ folder in system instead of showing the contents in the folder. where as u can open the fodler by using the command prompt

Following is a method by which u can convert any folder into either Control Panel, Recycle Bin, My Computer or Internet Explorer.

This is done by adding their respective registry keys to the folder’s name. After this when you’ll double click on the folder, either Control Panel, Recycle Bin, My Computer or Internet Explorer will open according to your choice. Actually that folder is then treated by Windows as a link to any of these four. The folder will remain intact with all its data and no one can access that folder via Windows. It can only be accessed via Command Prompt or some third party app.

To Convert Folder Into Contol Panel, Rename With Adding
.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}

To Convert Folder Into Recycle Bin, Rename With Adding
.{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

To Convert Folder Into My Computer, Rename With Adding
.{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

To Convert Folder Into Internet Explorer, Rename With Adding
.{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

example==If you have a folder ABC, to convert it into Control Panel, rename the folder as
ABC.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}

IF YOU WANT TO RE-ENABLE YOUR FOLDER TO BE ACCESSIBLE VIA WINDOWS THEN JUST DO THIS THING.

Eg:- If the folder is in C:Temp/ABC, then get to C:Temp in the command prompt and type:
ren ABC.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} ABC

ABC====FILE NAME. AND THE REGISTRY KEY.

SNIP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.