Hi,

Can I install Windows 98 on an XP machine? Run dual operating systems?
I need Windows98 because some of my old software won't run on XP.
Is this a good/bad idea? How do you do it? or should this be done by a professional? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

You can certainly do it, but the recommended (and least painful) approach is to install the older version of Windows first.

If you are using a single hard drive for both versions of Windows, install 98 on the first (primary) partition and XP in the second partition you create. If you are installing the different versions on different drives, 98 again goes on the first (Primary Master) drive, and XP on the second drive.

Either way you do it, when you install XP it should detect your existing installation of 98 and automatically set up the dual-boot menu for you.

might I add ,i use allkinds of win98 programs on XP,have you tried compadiablity mode .either right click/properties on the install exe or the run icon after you install and choose compatiablity mode and pick win98 from the list .

Yeah, but building a dual-boot system is so much more fun... :D

If Windows XP is installed on a system with a single hard drive and only one partition created, which takes up the entire storage space of the drive, then you will need to use a partition management tool to add Windows 98 and leave the Windows XP installation in place.

While it is DEFINITELY preferable to wipe the drive and install Windows 98 firsat, if you insist on adding it later follow this procedure:

http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/web/E6D96526AF2C872BCA256DD700280269

Sounds like this is way over my head. Talk of partitions and registery changes could bring on problems that I can't afford. Tell me more about the compatibility option. Where do I click on what icon?

Best alternative is to list the titles you want to use. There may be specific things you need to do for each to get them to run under XP, and some may be incompatible to the extent that it's unwise to install them.

It would be best to do this as a separate topic in the Windows XP section.

Save the dual boot until th next time you install windows...
Then it is no big deal to create a partition using Fdisk, install 98 first and install XP second... The install program of XP will ask if you want to install XP on the first or second partition and it will set up the dual boot loader for you.

It is quite easy and the people here quite helpful

Hi,

Is this a good/bad idea? How do you do it? or should this be done by a professional? Thanks!

If you ever decide to go ahead and do it, you can find instructions here:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread11350.html

Hi,

U can install win98 over win xp but it corrupt winxp u can repair it later.

If xp is installed in c:, boot from ur win98 cd start the setup process as usuall

Now u r prompted for the directory to install the os, select other directory,

here the default directory is C:/Windows.000 change it to D:/Windows after completing the setup u will have the boot menu but windows xp will not run, to make it run u have to repair it

Boot from ur winxp cd start the setup process, press enter to continue, press F8 to accept the License agreement, now the setup will search for the previous versions of window
C:/Microsoft Windows XP Professional--select it and press 'r' to repair, setup start copying the files and restarts, after restart dont boot from cd. If the file copying process is not done u have to again boot from winxp cd and follow the above. Once the file copying is done no need to boot from cd

Now u have both the OS with winxp in c: and win98 in d:

I partitioned new HDD during new OEM XP install in anticipation of later installing Win 98se along with XP so I can get scanner working again. Have OEM Win98se disk. But don't know how to proceed. OK idea? Bad idea? SNIP

I partitioned new HDD during new OEM XP install in anticipation of later installing Win 98se along with XP so I can get scanner working again. Have OEM Win98se disk. But don't know how to proceed. OK idea? Bad idea? snip]

recommendations are that win98 be install before winxp ,oldest first so no older drivers replace newer driver,had you read the 2nd post you would have seen that

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.