I have a laptop running win xp which refuses to bring up any web pages via internet explorer, or firefox. It says it has connected a strong wireless connection and has no problem connecting. I just cannot get a web page. There is another laptop and desktop in the house which both work fine.
I have tried everything, ipconfig, winsockfix.
There are no firewalls set up on the laptop. The internal wireless card is working fine also.
WHICH GENIUS CAN HELP ME TODAY??

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

well, I guess!!

Just restart the computer and try again.
If you have some program in start up, than get rid of them by "msconfig" in run command. and deselect extra programs from startup tab.

go to your network properties, right click on your network icon. Click on repair. Than disable the network and after 30seconds enable it.

Once you finish with this.. open "CMD" in run command.
ping anywebsite.
if it's reply. than go to firefox and try to open the same website.
Now if everythings worked out well. Than it suppose to work now.

If not than I suggest you to download Chrome from your other computers and install it in your laptop.
and try to connect any website.

I hope this could help you.

hi, none of these have worked. My ping request timed out
disabled all start up programs, no success
disabled and enabled wireless network connection, no success

try in safe mode to connect the internet.

while booting your windows press "F8" on your screen.
It will give you some options to boot the system.

Choose "Safe Mode"

and try to connect internet in safe mode.

do this. And reply with your result.

Which expert will solve my problem today???
i pinged ip address, dhcp servers
but the isp web address ping failed

To be honest, if connected to modem/router, then we can rule out PSK issues. You could look to see if some form of malware has loaded in Proxy settings, but that too is a bit of a stretch if both browsers are effected.

Download MalwareBytes to verify you haven't got any nasties tinkering with your network connectivity.

As well as downloading MBA-M, you need to update it and run it :). Remove anything it finds and reboot.
Try again to connect.

Try safe mode with networking to see if you can connect.

As well as downloading MBA-M, you need to update it and run it :). Remove anything it finds and reboot.

Yes well, I did think covering all that was like stating the obvious, but anyhow.

To go even further (can tell how tired I am at present) also DL a copy of Ad-Aware - and yes, for the sake of the peanut gallery, you need to install and update it!!

Best bet with both MalwareBytes and Ad-Aware, is to boot your system up in SafeMode and run the utilities from there, as they have more access to system files and processes - and a higher strike rate - than booting regularly.

Again, after cleaning system, just check to ensure your internet setting haven't been tinkered with along the way :)

Yes well, I did think covering all that was like stating the obvious, but anyhow.

Sometimes we have to state the obvious. Can save a lot of time by giving the correct instructions once only, rather than dragging it out across several posts.
And by the way, I have no part in a peanut gallery.

Sometimes we have to state the obvious. Can save a lot of time by giving the correct instructions once only, rather than dragging it out across several posts.

I know, but some then some carry on like you're being patronising by doing so, so you can't can't win!!

no firewalls is a bad idea. do you have antivirus software. some malware viruses prevent browsers from working. malwarebytes.org has a good malware remover

no firewalls is a bad idea.

True, but have to be careful if new to their usage, as many a home user ends up partially disabling rather than actually learning how to use them effectively... which ends up offering little protection. Needs to be easy to use with reasonable documentation.

Personally I like the firewalls bundled in either Endpoint or Comodo's internet protection suite, as both pretty user friendly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.