How to password protect a folder in the windows xp. I have a single logon. It isn't a shared computer but I need to protect some folders with passwords. Is there any option to deal with it. I know about "pcsecurity software" but I want to know the way that is by default in windows.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Not natively supported in XP, but included in Vista and Win7 (EFS). Personally prefer TrueCrypt, which is universally OS compatible.

BTW, this board is POSTING tips n' tricks, not requesting them

You could RAR it and protect the RAR file with a password !

You could RAR it and protect the RAR file with a password !

He wants to use as a regular folder.... PW protected RAR files are great for archived content which is not regularly accessed... as a regular folder alternative - completely unsuitable!

He wants to use as a regular folder.... PW protected RAR files are great for archived content which is not regularly accessed... as a regular folder alternative - completely unsuitable!

exactly I don't need rar I need simple default windows folder to be password protected.

Here's a simple (old-school advanced) Google search offering over a million results. Don't know what Windows version you are using, so easier to point you in the right direction and let you play a bit ;)

Here's a simple (old-school advanced) Google search offering over a million results. Don't know what Windows version you are using, so easier to point you in the right direction and let you play a bit ;)

Of course daniweb never would be the first choice. when I don't find anything and then I give it a try it might be some geek should be there to answer nothing special.;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.