Hi guys,
I recently came across a small problem with downloading large files (using flashget or jdownloader). When extracting rar files, i was getting alot of 'CRC Errors - file is corrupt'.

After changing nic card, ethernet cables & so on, the simple problem was an update in AVG which was causing the problem.
By turning AVG's Link Scanner off will solve the problem.

Hope this helps anyone, as it took me days figuring it out.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Two questions of interest.
1. How did you decide that you sould turn of AVGs link scanner off to fix your problem?
2. How do you know that it was the problem, just because you can now download without the error message could just be a coincidence?
I am not suggesting it is, just asking you how do you know.

Two questions of interest.
1. How did you decide that you sould turn of AVGs link scanner off to fix your problem?
2. How do you know that it was the problem, just because you can now download without the error message could just be a coincidence?
I am not suggesting it is, just asking you how do you know.

Hi Bob,
As i was getting CRC Errors, i searched online to see if anyone else had similar problems. I found out that similar antivirus programs such as Norton has also caused these problems.
I then turned off each module one at a time and found out it was the link scanner. Since i turned it off, i didn't receive one error. When the link scanner was on, i used to get errors every other download.

Note: This started happening after AVG upgrade 9.0

Thank you for that, I was just interested in why anyone would look at an anti-virus program for that type of error. Someone did and fixed theirs and now you fixed yours. A lot more people should do a lot more searching on-line before they post a question.
Again thank you for your reply.

Thank you for that, I was just interested in why anyone would look at an anti-virus program for that type of error. Someone did and fixed theirs and now you fixed yours. A lot more people should do a lot more searching on-line before they post a question.
Again thank you for your reply.

Again "Bob", you might want to do a little more research on AV erros, in particular in relation to false positives; as well as general application errors and high resource usage. In some cases, the AV can act like a bigger parasite than that which it is s'posed to be protecting the system from. While there are some fantastic AV/anti-malware offerings, there are also some awful products available on the market that far from live up to their descriptions.

Again "Bob", you might want to do a little more research on AV erros, in particular in relation to false positives; as well as general application errors and high resource usage. In some cases, the AV can act like a bigger parasite than that which it is s'posed to be protecting the system from. While there are some fantastic AV/anti-malware offerings, there are also some awful products available on the market that far from live up to their descriptions.

I thought that is what I was doing, research, but then all i did was to ask questions and get answers. Now I know a little more than I did before he answered. I thought you were going to argue this fact with crunchie as he disagrees with you. You have your thoughts and he has his, don't come to me telling me what you wont say to him. Either you are right and he is wrong or the other way but please tell him he is wrong don't tell me he is wrong. I believe crunchie and I would take his statements about this as being correct. I dismiss every word you say to me about it as I trust his.

the AV can act like a bigger parasite than that which it is s'posed to be protecting the system from.

Let us just assume that your statement is even a little bit correct, that would mean that everyone would be better of using the internet without any anti-virus program as an anti-virus program is worse than any virus they would ever get online.
I bet that you click on "unsubscribe" in spam emails to stop them as well! I am sure that should work as well.
Just think how much money is wasted by so many people when they buy a product that is actually worse than the virus it is supposed to protect them from. That is why some AV companies like AVG allow people to use their produce free, so they can infect them and destroy their programs.
See I have done some more research, I read your post and now I know a lot more. "Anti-virus programs are worse than the viruses they supposed to protect us from." We had better not tell anyone, as they will stop buying anti-virus programs and the companies will go broke.

I thought that is what I was doing, research, but then all i did was to ask questions and get answers. Now I know a little more than I did before he answered. I thought you were going to argue this fact with crunchie as he disagrees with you. You have your thoughts and he has his, don't come to me telling me what you wont say to him. Either you are right and he is wrong or the other way but please tell him he is wrong don't tell me he is wrong. I believe crunchie and I would take his statements about this as being correct. I dismiss every word you say to me about it as I trust his.

HUH? WTF are you on about? The post you are referring to (apart from being unrelated to this thread) was a disagreement over semantics and nothing more... which was brought up in the actual thread in question if I remember correctly. Kind keep your minuscule thoughts on point, rather than taking a random thread off topic for you own warped benefits... you do the OP no favours!

WTF

Copied from Daniweb rules..It is prohibited to use alternative characters in an attempt to circumvent the bad words filter.

Could you please tell me what the three letters stand for as I know that as a teacher and responsible poster you would not swear, nor would you try to harass anybody (it is not working) by continuing to post your irrelevant, superfluous comments.
I have decided to try and assist the other posters here by no longer replying to your inept attempts at badgering me. This is the last time I will ever address you in an open forum (or an IM). Not because of you but because of all the other posters that must endure this prolonged marathon of comments.

You can, and probably will, continue to post your comments about my posts, although, there will be no further comment, by me, addressed to you again.
To anyone else reading this post, I am very sorry that this has continued for so long. I promise you all here and now that this is my last reply to this poster. It ends here for me. I will continue to post and try to assist OPs as I can.
P.S. Ensure that you remove any anti-virus program from your PC as they are worse than anything you can get on line. I have it directly from kaninelupus, an expert.
Sorry, this is is my last post about or to him.

P.S. Ensure that you remove any anti-virus program from your PC as they are worse than anything you can get on line. I have it directly from kaninelupus, an expert.
Sorry, this is is my last post about or to him.

I love how the self-confessed crippled geriatric adores taking ppl's post completely out ppl's context... about as mature as this drive-by sniping, accompanied by the whole "I'm not talking to you" routine... I'm sure he's only a little boy using a virtual cane to whack everyone with!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.