romeyng 0 Light Poster

Hey guys, i have a vostro 200 that wont start up. When u hit the switch the light just goes amber and all the fans inside are spinning. I was wondering if this is a fault with the processor or the motherboard.
I was doing anything heavy when it first went amber, i had just turned it on about 10 minutes before it cut out while playing music.
I had added a graphics card to this system about 5 months ago. the board wasnt up to the full spec of the graphics card but they were compatible.
my spec is as follows:
350w power supply
Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz
3gb DDR2 @ 800Mhz
1gb EVGA 9500GT pcie 2.0 video card
Windows XP Sp3

The dell board is not pcie 2.0 compliant, however it is supposed to be backwards compatible as far my research told me. Also my PSU was up to spec with the gcard amperage requirements, but not the wattage. I am 50w short.

I have done much heavier work on the pc for longer periods of time without fault in the past few months.

I disconnected everything, theres no beep when the ram isnt in, and my conscience just would not let me write off the motherboard. What do you guys think?

Also seeing as i may need a new board, do you know if other boards support all the connections that dell uses in its chassis? (particularly the on/off switch and the speaker connection)

Thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.