MY Windows 98SE w/FireFox w/ AMD 32BIt cpu w/ Linksys Router and other stuff was completely falling apart. Everything was going wrong and every site I turned to on the WWW promised instant help and cures. I lost track of them! Not one of these sites to which I went using the key word "Windows 98SE" gave me any help. They either said "Upgrade your Windows" or gave me the "BSOD". After 2 1/2 days of searching I finally discovered my "System.Ini" file somehow was changed. I found an old copy, renamed it and Shazzam my problems went away, (I hope). I have pages and pages of notes, "solutions" from "Tech Sites". I don't know how the "System.Ini" file got changed. I suspect some type of MalWare but I won't know for sure until I can get some Virus detector/Cleaner to work on a Windows 98 System. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Save data to disk.
Format and re-install Windows.

one of yout problems , which is why they say move up the windows chain, is that many modern software programs do not run successfully in older versions. To do so they rely on using the system>.ini file to get the resources they need.... and 98 & ME particulary wasa bad version with a lot of hidden problems in it.
M

need I say more

Try this Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - Download top malware scanner blurb at site claims 98SE compatibility I use it regularly works & is simple. Later---

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.