I have a HP Pavilion 6535 and I cannot get windows to start. I do not have a restore disk. If you know another way to restore or get into windows please reply. This computer had windows 98 but windows xp was downloaded on it. I do not care if I lose xp. Please help!

At the start up the computer says: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. \windows\wywtem32\config\system You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom select 'r' at the first screen to start repair I have tried to to select 'r' at the first screen but it does nothing.

The error message is \windows\system32\config\system not \windows\wywtem32\config\system. This was a typo.

Occasionally, this message can be caused by faulty RAM. If you have more than one RAM module in your system, try using only one module at a time, alternating modules until you discover if one seems to be causing this problem. Otherwise, insert your Windows XP installation CD & reboot your system, making sure that the CD drive is higher priority in the boot order (check your BIOS by pressing F1/F2/F12/Esc/Del at system boot), and follow prompts to repair your Windows installation. If you don't have a Windows XP CD, perhaps because your copy of Windows was obtained with suspect methods, you can buy an upgrade version for cheaper than the full version at most retail stores.

-Matt
Quick PC Repair (serving the San Diego, CA area)
www.quickpcrepair.com

Thank you but Windows 98 was the windows that was installed in the computer and I also do not have a restore disk.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.