Hi,

I am totally novice to vmware, but I have a desperate situation where in I need to run a program that only runs in windows 98 or ME provided DOS. But I need to switch to XP in as it is more stable. Only for running that program i need to have windows 98 as well. So i thought of installing 98 on XP using vmware. Please let me know if this is a possibility. If yes which version of vmware would support it?

Thanks in advance.
Rahul

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

xp has compatability mode .the program may work in xp .you get to compatability mode by right clicking on the .exe file of the program ,you can choose win95/98/me/2000 /nt

xp has compatability mode .the program may work in xp .you get to compatability mode by right clicking on the .exe file of the program ,you can choose win95/98/me/2000 /nt

I have trouble I have Windows XP pro and I have to run a program using Windows 98. I try compatible mode and It didn't work. I have to load Windows 98. My Windows XP Is on drive C. Can you tell me How I can get Windows 98 on my computer? I figure using vmware Is the easiest way. I know I can do It by reformating the drive but I don't want to do that If I don't have to.

commented: thank you +0

I believe VMware is a good option has it works perfectly, I have used it several time and have no problems at all. I don't see much option has the compatibility mode is not working for your purpose.
I would say install the VMware and you will have no trouble.

I believe VMware is a good option has it works perfectly, I have used it several time and have no problems at all. I don't see much option has the compatibility mode is not working for your purpose.

Can someone walk me throw Installing Windows 98 from vmware If I all ready have Windows XP Installed? The problem I am having Is It ask me to make a ms-dos boot partition. I don't know much about vmware.

Can you help me Install Windows 98 in VMware? I am running Windows XP pro. I can Install VMware but I can't get 98 to run inside vmware. I don't have a floppy drive so I made a Boot CD.

Can you help me Install Windows 98 in VMware? I am running Windows XP pro. I can Install VMware but I can't get 98 to run inside vmware. I don't have a floppy drive so I made a Boot CD.

Do I have to make a FAT or a FAT32 partition to Install Windows 98 In VMware? right now I have 2 NTFS partions.

fat32 to run win98

From the VMware guest OS installation guide:
http://pubs.vmware.com/guestnotes/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

Windows 98
Support
This guest operating system is supported on the following VMware products:
• VMware Workstation 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.5, 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 5.0, 5.5, 5.5.1, 5.5.2
No support for Virtual SMP

• VMware ACE 1.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2

• VMware GSX Server 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.2.1

• VMware Server 1.0, 1.0.1
No support for Virtual SMP

Note If you are installing a guest operating system through VMware VirtualCenter, be sure it is supported under the VMware product—ESX Server or GSX Server—on which you are running the virtual machine.

General Installation Notes
Be sure to read General Guidelines for All VMware Products as well as this guide to installing your specific guest operating system.
You can install Windows 98 in a virtual machine using the standard Windows 98 CD. If your VMware product supports it, you can also install from a PXE server.
Before installing the operating system, be sure that you have already created and configured a new virtual machine.
Installation Steps
1 Insert the Windows 98 CD in the CD-ROM drive.

Note Some Windows 98 packages require that you boot from a floppy disk. If you have such a package, insert the boot floppy in the floppy disk drive. Follow the on-screen instructions. Be sure to run FDISK and FORMAT when the installer prompts you to do so.

2 Power on the virtual machine to start installing Windows 98.

3 Choose to boot from CD-ROM, and then select the option Start Windows 98 Setup from CD-ROM. The setup program runs FDISK and reboots.

4 Once again, choose to boot from CD-ROM, and then select the option Start Windows 98 Setup from CD-ROM. The setup program continues installing Windows 98.

5 Follow the Windows 98 installation steps as you would for a physical PC.

VMware Tools
Be sure to install VMware Tools in your guest operating system. For details, see the manual for your VMware product or follow the appropriate link in the knowledge base article at www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=340.
Enabling Networking After Installing Windows 98
If networking was disabled at the time you installed Windows 98, you can enable it after the operating system has been installed. To set up networking for a virtual machine, power off the virtual machine and add a network adapter to the configuration. When you power on the virtual machine, Windows 98 automatically detects an AMD PCNET Family Ethernet Adapter (PCI-ISA) and prompts for the Windows 98 CD-ROM to install drivers. The default Ethernet adapter settings should work well and do not need to be changed. Use the Network icon in the Windows 98 Control Panel to view or change network settings. For example, you might want to add the TCP/IP protocol since Windows 98 does not install it by default.
Enabling Sound in a Windows 98 Guest
VMware GSX Server: The sound device is disabled by default and must be enabled with the virtual machine settings editor (VM > Settings) after the operating system has been installed. To set up the virtual machine to play sound, see Configuring Sound in the GSX Server documentation.
Known Issues
Phantom COM Ports
After Windows 98 has been installed, you might notice COM5 and COM6 devices exist within the Windows Device Manager. These devices do not actually exist and are not consuming IRQ or other resources. You can remove them using the Windows device manager if you like.
Guest Screen Saver
On a Linux host with an XFree86 3.x X server, it is best not to run a screen saver in the guest operating system. Guest screen savers that demand a lot of processing power can cause the X server on the host to freeze

commented: Good find. :) -'Stein +3

Hi,

I am totally novice to vmware, but I have a desperate situation where in I need to run a program that only runs in windows 98 or ME provided DOS. But I need to switch to XP in as it is more stable. Only for running that program i need to have windows 98 as well. So i thought of installing 98 on XP using vmware. Please let me know if this is a possibility. If yes which version of vmware would support it?

Thanks in advance.
Rahul

I believe VMware Workstation or Server will be your best option. Choose one of them depending on how much you are ready to spend. A good guide of installing XP on VMware can be found at:

http://www.virtualizationteam.com/virtualization-vmware/how-to-install-windows-xp-on-vmware-esx.html

Hope that help,
digg1980

I need lpt1 serial port ultrasonofraphy image capture. Can I use vmware?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.