Hi,

I'm currently trying to fix up a computer for a friend that's running Windows 98. He claims that everything was working up until last Thursday when we had a thunderstorm (yes, his comp was surge protected). When booting up the system all of the tests pass and windows loads normally. However, when the login screen comes up (where it says "press ctrl/alt/delete to begin"), neither the keyboard or the mouse works.

No, it isn't the keyboard or the mouse because they keyboard and mouse that seem to be not working are the same keyboard/mouse I used to navigate to your site and post this message. There are 0 error messages, no beeps, the only thing I noticed is that once everything is detected/initialized (yes the keyboard and mouse are both detected), the Caps/Num/Scroll lock keys all continuously flash in unison (about once every second). The keyboard does work on the computer, because I can get into the BIOS and view all of the settings with the comp, just once it boots up that's it, no more keyboard.

Any ideas as to what is happening here? It is an older PC, did it just die?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi,

I'm currently trying to fix up a computer for a friend that's running Windows 98. He claims that everything was working up until last Thursday when we had a thunderstorm (yes, his comp was surge protected). When booting up the system all of the tests pass and windows loads normally. However, when the login screen comes up (where it says "press ctrl/alt/delete to begin"), neither the keyboard or the mouse works.

No, it isn't the keyboard or the mouse because they keyboard and mouse that seem to be not working are the same keyboard/mouse I used to navigate to your site and post this message. There are 0 error messages, no beeps, the only thing I noticed is that once everything is detected/initialized (yes the keyboard and mouse are both detected), the Caps/Num/Scroll lock keys all continuously flash in unison (about once every second). The keyboard does work on the computer, because I can get into the BIOS and view all of the settings with the comp, just once it boots up that's it, no more keyboard.

Any ideas as to what is happening here? It is an older PC, did it just die?

If it has usb ports, try using them with a mouse & keyboard. that is if you're willing to gamble money away. No guarantees of course. But before you try that test the keyboard in your cmos area & see if it works there first. if you push delete, or F1, or f2 depending on the model of computer it is, if you even get into cmos, the problem is with windows, then find a way to re-install windows.

I ended up just reinstalling windows and that fixed whatever the problem was

thanks though.

I just got off the phone with my brother who had the same problem which is what led me here. He tried soft-booting and hard-booting with no luck. He then pulled the plug and let it sit for 30 seconds, plugged it back in, and all was cured. He has not had the problem since.

Ok well lucky for others I AM a hardware guy. next time before you reinstall windows, or for anyone else experiancing this steady blinking of all lights on the keyboard and the keyboard not working this is what you do.
1) stand (or kneel) behind the computer.
2) looking at the back of the computer take your right hand and grab on the the cable closer to the right pannel of the case.
3) take your left hand and grab the cable toward the left pannel of the case.
4) pull both cables out but do not release them from your grip, do not lay them on the floor, or in anyway combine them into a single hand.
5) cross your arms over each other and plug the one in your right hand into the socket closer to the left pannel and the cable in you left hand into the socket closer to the right pannel of the case and PRESTO!

Conclusion: you had the keyboard pluged into the mouse socket and vice-versa... happens alot when cables are not color coded or when using ps/2 extensions. ;) excuse my sarcasim i couldn't help myself LOL to be fair Ive done it too.. and it took me several hours to figure it out LOL

Ok well lucky for others I AM a hardware guy. next time before you reinstall windows, or for anyone else experiancing this steady blinking of all lights on the keyboard and the keyboard not working this is what you do.
1) stand (or kneel) behind the computer.
2) looking at the back of the computer take your right hand and grab on the the cable closer to the right pannel of the case.
3) take your left hand and grab the cable toward the left pannel of the case.
4) pull both cables out but do not release them from your grip, do not lay them on the floor, or in anyway combine them into a single hand.
5) cross your arms over each other and plug the one in your right hand into the socket closer to the left pannel and the cable in you left hand into the socket closer to the right pannel of the case and PRESTO!

Conclusion: you had the keyboard pluged into the mouse socket and vice-versa... happens alot when cables are not color coded or when using ps/2 extensions. ;) excuse my sarcasim i couldn't help myself LOL to be fair Ive done it too.. and it took me several hours to figure it out LOL

Sorry to ruin your party, but I had the same symptoms and it had nothing to do with connecting the keyboard in the wrong place. So, although you feel so sure about the "crossing your arms" thing, let me tell you that you are not always right.

the scroll lock on the mouse doesn't work.......i cant move up and down the sheet whith the mouse while i am working....can anyone help me plz?????????

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.