My spybot deleted this regiestry key wscntfy.exe, it doesn't have any recovery. But what the problem is, I don't have windows update enabled, so now its saying enable it, and if I don't it has the warning thing in the icon tray, so I need the regiestry key so I can install it into the system so it will leave me alone, can anyone help?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Uhh...yeah...is anyone gonna respond...or try to help at least..? :-|

Could you not go, Start --> contol panel --> Automatic updates.

Then enable it to automatic.

I would of thought that would replace the registry setting.

let me know if that is no help.

It does help, but I usually leave it off, is it recommanded to keep it on?

I think that is a question that has many mixed views, all based on how much you trust Microsoft. i keep mine on, because I feel willing to take any risks, that I could recover from. I don't know what is best to advise, I have never had any problems on my two PCs, but others will avoid it at all cost.

Maybe get it to alert you of any updates, to install yourself, or leave it off altogether, and just keep an eye out for any critical updates you may want.

My spybot deleted this regiestry key wscntfy.exe, it doesn't have any recovery. But what the problem is, I don't have windows update enabled, so now its saying enable it, and if I don't it has the warning thing in the icon tray, so I need the regiestry key so I can install it into the system so it will leave me alone, can anyone help?

If u dont want that warning to be displayed in the system tray

Go to start-control panel-double click Security Center and click on 'Change the way Security Center Alerts me' and uncheck Firewall, Automatic Updates, Virus Protection and click on ok

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.