RIK CAPERJACK GERBIL KHAKILANG
PLEASE EXCUSE THE LONG DELAY IN REPLY.I tried to follow Gerbil's instructions; cannot find setup.exe anywhere. My computer is old and has other afflictions that drive me to distraction. It is time to bite-the-bullet and buy a new one.
I cannot thank you ALL enough for your very generous giving of time, expertise and patience. Thank you.
RIK, Thank you, especially, and for the kind words.

Hello, stellios, is this the file that you downloaded: AUDIO_Realtek_5.10.00.5930_Xpx86?
From the site Rik suggested, http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers
You would use this link after browsing the site for your Desktop > Aspire > T160, http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers and press the dl button beside Audio.
I unzip that file and find a setup.exe in the main folder.
I think I understand your problem. There is indeed a file called SetupEx, but its full name is SetupEx.ini. Now I understand why you don't see the full setup.exe filename. You have a very important setting to change in Explorer; please do this:
Open an explorer window, go Tools, Folder Options > View tab, and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types. Apply and OK.
With that change you will now see Setup.exe in the unzipped AUDIO_Realtek folder. Dclick it.
Good luck. And keep that setting.

I should have paid more attention to an earlier post of of yurs; you didn't have any extensions on the files you listed. My apologies for the oversight.
I don't really know why the option to hide extensions exists.. it just seems silly and dangerous to me.

I should have paid more attention to an earlier post of of yurs; you didn't have any extensions on the files you listed. My apologies for the oversight.
I don't really know why the option to hide extensions exists.. it just seems silly and dangerous to me.

i agree .but the file type should show and a exe is a application ,as i stated in a previous post

gerbil caperjack,
yes. to gerbil's first question, Audio_realtek....
RIK site is,"us.acer.com/ac/us/content/drivers".
Int'l Exp.... Tools.. I do not see, "Folder options".

go start /control panel ,there should be icon for folder options

i regret to say, there is no icon for folder options

I have xpmode[xp pro] running in win7 and it has a icon for folder option ,is you control panel in classic mode

and i just booted up a old dell laptop running winxp pro ,and it has folder option icon in control panels classic view ,you must not be in classic mode .open control panel /on the left it should say show/use classic mode ,in folder option ,go to view ,and there you will see show hidden file extensions

switched from CATEGORY code to CLASSIC code and found folder options

in folder options view i see;
*SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS
*HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES

uncheck hide extensions for know file types ,save changes and ok,your way out

OK. as per Gerbil i found setup.exe in unzipped audio-realtek ac97 audio a3.77 folder.
dclicked it and install shield wizard starts to install,realtekac'97audio setup(5.17)'
window comes up, files needed:"the file ksuser.dll on windows home edition service pack 3 cd is needed". type the path where the file is located, then click ok.
help, please.

Hello, Stellios. Progress, then. Have you installed DirectX 9c or 10 yet? Installing that would likely solve the missing ksuser.dll problem.
You would have it on your motherboard cd.

Please tell me how to install DirectX 9c or 10.

installed 9-1bf9cce52f4
found ksuser.dll in two folders:
C:\WINDOWS\System32
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i
dclicked setup.exe
in window where asked to type path where ksuser.dll
is located, typed in both folders
file name ksuser.dll comes up in my docs
i click, open,
ksuser.dll not found.
Thanks for your patience

Hello, stellios. Boy, but you sure have patience. Anyway, try registering ksuser.dll. To do that Go Start, Run, and Enter:
regsvr32 ksuser.dll
That may help. Report any error message that is shown if the task is not successful.

Gerbil, you are the one with patience. Again, sorry for
long delay...family matters.
OK.When I ran Regsvr32 ksuser.dll a window labeled,"RegSvr32", came up.
The message was, "ksuser.dll was loaded, but the dll Register Server
entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered".

Stellios, I checked, ksuser.dll does not require registering; most dlls don't, this is one of them.
Your delays don't matter to me.
When you type that path in, be sure to use..
C:\WINDOWS\System32\
I'm out of ideas...

Gerbil, I ran it again this time using C:\WINDOWS\System32\regsvr32 ksuser.dll.
Received the same message as before.
Many thanks for all your help, it was really appreciated.

The human brain and the way it focuses on some issue/item and ignores all else can be a worrying thing. And I did just that with my last post. Stellios, I was referring to this in an earlier post of yours, not the regsvr32 post:
"dclicked setup.exe
in window where asked to type path where ksuser.dll
is located, typed in both folders
file name ksuser.dll comes up in my docs
i click, open,
ksuser.dll not found."
I meant that when you are requested to enter a path to ksuser.dll, type in C:\WINDOWS\System32\
If you are given the option of browsing to it then do that instead, and dclick on ksuser.dll.
[What you did as shown just above was no harm at all, you merely supplied the sys with the path of regsvr32.exe and so saved it collecting it from the environment variable list.. - and that little tidbit was possibly more than you needed/wanted to know... :) ]

What version ksuser.dll do you have? Navigate to it, rclick the file and choose Properties, Version tab. [mine is 5.3.2600.5512 on a XP-SP3 system].

Entered C:\WINDOWS\System32\ when asked to enter a path to ksuser.dll.
Browsed
dclicked ksuser.dll
this brouhgt me back to same"FILES NEEDED" window.
Re ksuser.dll, my version is same as yours

This is strange indeed, stellios. Right, lets try something that will force setup.exe to recognise ksuser.dll. Open two explorer windows [this is the easiest way of several to achieve the same thing], size them so that both are open on your desktop side by side. In the one, navigate so that the audio driver installation files are shown in the RHS [setup.exe filename should be visible]; in the other open system32 so that ksuser.dll is displayed. Good, now lclick and drag ksuser.dll over to the first explorer window and release it on top of setup.exe after setup.exe highlights. Setup.exe should start... and I don't see how it can now ignore ksuser.dll.
Of course, this is Windows, and who knows what BG had up his sleeve....

Gerbil, I followed you directions, except to show ksuser.dll C:\WINDOWS\system32, I ran a search files; I did not know how to open system32. When I dragged Ksuser.dll on top of setup.exe, Install Shied started, and stopped at the same "FILES NEEDED" window wherein it said:
"The file ksuser.dll on Windows XP home edition service pack 3 cd is needed"
Type the path where the file is located and then click ok.

Aw, heck.... I think I am beaten, Stellios. All I can think of now is deleting the current driver file, downloading a fresh one and trying with that. Here is the download location, just lclick it:
http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Audio/AUDIO_Realtek_5.10.00.5930_Xpx86.zip?acerid=633645040942611583&Step1=Desktop&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire%20T160&OS=X01&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_27
Say how it goes.... sigh...
System32 should open like any other folder; it is not a special or hidden folder...?!!

Gerbil,
Again, many thanks for your help and patience. I tried to install
anew. I came to the same "FILES NEEDED" window.
I really appreciate all you have done, but I am finished.
I will make do with this computer for a while then buy a new one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.