Hi
what is Torrent and why it is used?
What is the benefit of installing this software?
Please explain about Torrent in detail.
thanks

Ezzaral commented: Useless sig spammer. +0
debasisdas commented: SPAM +0
happygeek commented: looks and smells like signature spam +0

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

In most cases, it's illegal. Torrents are for file sharing (usually illegal music/movies/pirated software) like Napster used to be.

its basically used to download music, videos, books and more files as you can imagine but illegal as cscgal stated.

In most cases, it's illegal. Torrents are for file sharing (usually illegal music/movies/pirated software) like Napster used to be.

I live in a rural area and the only "high-speed" internet service available is uber-slow and it simply isn't even possible to download large files in the normal manner (the download will fail and waste hours of my time, trust me). Thus I turn to torrents of legitimate downloads that are quite large and torrents work quite well. There is nothing inherently illegal about torrents, and I feel the system has very legitimate uses as well as "illegal."

The prime benefit is that torrents allow for reliably pausing, resuming, and bandwidth limiting of downloads as well as decentralization.

But on the other hand most of the time people that illegally file share *may* simply feel Hollywood doesn't need their money so that they can buy another solid gold dog (and dog house). In which case it's entirely OK.

But keep in mind at the maximum I am able to download files at 70 kilobytes per second (down speed) with an upload rate of 15.
I think it's fairly safe to say those who take their massive bandwidth for granted are often likely to improperly label torrents as "illegal" while those with a legitimate use for it are left trying to ride the wave of ignorance that surely ensues and destroys the entire system.

I also use torrent whenever I stumble upon some really insane big files which download resuming is impossible. Torrent isn't illegal, content is but not all content have illegal files.

Torrent is like another p2p programs but from this much less malicious attack than other p2p. To make it even lesser, choose only torrent that is trusted by most people...

Although it was a good question ,OP is a signature link spammer and will likely not return to read all the great answers

commented: Great Point +11

Too bad((
I wanted to share with him all advantages and disadv. of torrent))

Too bad((
I wanted to share with him all advantages and disadv. of torrent))

you still can share that info ,others may benefit from it ,

Am I allowed to post a link here or after posting I will be a spammer?))

Am I allowed to post a link here or after posting I will be a spammer?))

only if it relevant to the topic and contains useful legal content

And if the link just points to another site with a Torrent FAQ or similar, then why not precis that information in your own words and inform DaniWeb members here so they don't have to leave the site. You might even some positive rep as a result.

Ok.
Here it comes - http://www.ehow.com/about_5046260_torrent.html
All you need to know about torrent.
Advantages: you can easily download some music, video or whatever you want. You share some staff with others.
Disadvantages: copyright issues, inappropriate content (you don't want your child to download some adult film for example).

What part of "if the link just points to another site with a Torrent FAQ or similar, then why not precis that information in your own words" did you not understand? :(

"only if it relevant to the topic and contains useful legal content"
I read this post before yours.
Must I delete the link?
Well, I suppose yes.
Can I ask how I can do that?

As an alternative to public torrents, you might look at OneSwarm. It was developed at the University of Washington.

http://www.oneswarm.org/

In a nutshell, it allows you to set up private torrents if, for example, you wanted to share large files or sets of files between two or more computers at different sites. This would be useful if several researchers wanted to exchange large data files. It has all the benefits of public torrents (pause/resume transfers, limit bandwidth, etc) and you can limit access to only trusted users.

pls i want to create create a terminal report for a school...
it should be printable
it should contain the subject name, class marks(30%), exam marks(70%) and total
it should also contain the student picture and details..

pls i want to create create a terminal report for a school...
it should be printable
it should contain the subject name, class marks(30%), exam marks(70%) and total
it should also contain the student picture and details..

So,go to your room and create that report,and show them you can get a 90% all by yourself ,good luck

A .torrent file is a file extension associated with files to be opened with a BitTorrent application. They are used to send and receive data to and from computers on a Peer-to-Peer (often abbreviated P2P) network.

They are commonly associated with illegal downloads, but are also used (in some cases) by large corporations. Perfect World Entertainment (the makers of Jade Dynasty and Rusty Hearts) and Blizzard (the makers of WoW) use Torrents and P2P networks to distribute their media, as in many cases P2P can be faster than downloading from a singular set of servers operating on the same network infrastructure.

in short description

peer-to-peer (P2P) communications protocol for file sharing is called torrent

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.