Hi All,
I'm new to this forum so I hope I've put this in the right place ;)

Let me explain the situation....
The problem is with my girlfriend's PC, not mine.
She runs MSN Explorer as her Browser and Messenger as her Web Chat (As do I).
The problem was brought to my attention last night (21th Jan 2006) when I logged on to this PC wanting to check my emails etc....
Basically, I couldn't do anything with Explorer. Tried logging on a number of times with both my girlfriend's and myself's username and password, but nothing. Then I tried to log on to MSN Messenger, but an error message (80048883) saying that the service was temporarily unavailable, so I left it an hour or so. Tried again and still nothing, so I checked the service status and all was running fine.

Then I loaded IE to check my emails going through that, but got "Cannot connect", also got this message to some other secure sites, ie. Internet Banking.

I've downloaded Firefox (The Browser I use at home) and the web access seems fine now, but it's Messenger....I can't get on to that.... :(

What can I do? I would be sincerely thnkful to whoever is able to provide assistance to this matter.

Best Regards,

Duane Lusted :D

Sorry, forgot to add:-
Have erased all Temp files, Cookies, Temp Internet Files, Ran/Removed Spyware/Adware/Viruses.

Running WinXp Home SP2, using Win Firewall and have tried connecting when the firewall is off.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is no other security software installed on your computer like Norton or McAfee? From my experience they are the main culprits for Secure Websites issues. However sometimes the information for the actual dll's responsible for encrypting the connection becomes corrupted.

Here's something that you can do. Run this batch file: http://www.toughadmin.com/download/secure.bat and click OK to all the messages that pop up.

I hope it works.

THANK YOU for this post!!!!! It solved my problem! What a miracle! I couldn't log on to Hotmail or MSN Messenger or MSN Explorer for a week. This fixed it fast!!!!

Is no other security software installed on your computer like Norton or McAfee? From my experience they are the main culprits for Secure Websites issues. However sometimes the information for the actual dll's responsible for encrypting the connection becomes corrupted.

Here's something that you can do. Run this batch file: http://www.toughadmin.com/download/secure.bat and click OK to all the messages that pop up.

I hope it works.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.