I have kaspersky internet security 2011 for my desktop and wanted to install it on my netbook but im worried its too big of a program and will slow it down.What security software offers a good protection but does not slow down the netbook?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Well if you want a light-weight AV, I would highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, it is really light, and above all, very effective, I have it on my laptop, and have not been infected once, and best of all it's free. Another one could be AVG, it is light and effective, but you'd have to pay to get the best features. Honestly, I would recommend using MSE, just go to the Microsoft website.

SNIP

commented: thank you clairienz +0
commented: spam -3

Well if you want a light-weight AV, I would highly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, it is really light, and above all, very effective, I have it on my laptop, and have not been infected once, and best of all it's free. Another one could be AVG, it is light and effective, but you'd have to pay to get the best features. Honestly, I would recommend using MSE, just go to the Microsoft website.

Here for more updates:
http://www.techyv.com/questions/need-help-choosing-anti-virus

Yeah MSE also is one of the best ive known.

If you ask 5 people, you'll probably get 5 answers.

I use Avast on my laptop. Its free and works well for me. That's my 2 cents.

over the years i have used them all. have been using MSE for quite some time now with out any real infection ,using it in our house on 3 laptop ,and i do all the computer repair /building of family computer and put it on them also .it may not be the best ,but it works for us. it been said it going to be built into win8 when it comes out

microsoft security essentials

you will use USB anti virus for notebook

When I look for an antivirus generally I take a look at av-comparatives. This is what is listed as having the best performance: (dec 2011)

ESET
K7
Avast
Symantec
F-Secure
AVIRA
Kaspersky
AVG
Microsoft
Sophos
Panda
Webroot

Here is the link, worth checking out for more detailed info.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/performance-tests

I'd recommend based on experience for free anti-viruses Avast or Avira, Microsoft is pretty good too.

nasties in there definitions database, is more important than speed

I have kaspersky internet security 2011 for my desktop and wanted to install it on my netbook but im worried its too big of a program and will slow it down.What security software offers a good protection but does not slow down the netbook?

I use Avira for my notebook and it works best for me. Maybe you might also try it out.

its all in who you ask but microsoft security essentials has worked the best i've seen in 10 years. Granted it does has its flaws too i've seen, but best prescan ability at defending.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.