Hi, I have a friend that has a Win XP Home edition that just recently developed a problem performing a complete shutdown after doing a Start/shutdown, it seems to freeze at the windown is shutting down splash screen. I have let it remain in that state for more than a half hour and then I have to press and hold the shutoff button on the PC itself in order to complete poweroff shutdown. Any ideas???

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There could be a process running that the shutdown sequence is unable to force to stop. See if this happens when the computer is boot into Safe MOde, then shutdown.

My laptop does the same thing when yahoo is left running. I wait until the mute light kicks on then manually press and hold the power button. It doesn't seem to harm anything and boots up normal afterwards. Try closing all programs or checking task manager to see if anything is running.

Hi I have a Hp Pavillion g series and it will not shut down or restart it will go on hibernate but it will not shut down completely. Can you tell me why? I know that it is bad on the computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.