My windows 7 Pro 32 bit came up unbootable last weekend. I have tried all sorts of fixes like Windows repair console, fixboot, fixmbr, rebuild bcd and even manually replacing missing boot files. Still NG. I am now faced with a full reinstall. I have been looking around to see if anyone has some magic trick that would allow a repair install of a non bootable condition. I haven't been able to find one yet. Any ideas on this one?

Бахадур commented: ibahadur@bk.ru +0

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I've found that we faced with this type of scenario...unless there is a real need to repair the installation, I generally go with a clean install. At some point you may consider the cost (with regard to time) of reinstalling vs a repair that may or may not be 100% successful.

A clean install does guarantee a clean hard drive (un-fragmented), free and clean from any malware, and a non-quirky Windows system.

If you go down the path of a new install, you just have to make sure that you have backed up your data (you could remove the hard drive and plug it into another computer to get the data), and that you have all of the installation media for your applications.

I probably will be looking at a clean install. I have a backup in place that runs daily, so that is not a problem. I do have the ability to hook the drive up to my other machine. I want to look and see what programs I have and the versions, so that I can recreate it as best as I can. Not being sure what caused this as it could have been some malware, it is probably the best thing to do.

Hello,

I have run into the same scenario. I tried the Boot.exe / options no luck. What I did, and helped me at the end was to use some software that would allow me to go into disk management and make the primary partition active. (for example Hyren's CD or UB4W cd. Both give you the option to boot from cd and try this solution. Of course, if this is your only pc. you may have to use another cd to download the software and burn it to cd. Worst situation, in case that this does not work, this software will allow you to move your data to an external hard drive before a clean install. Just in case, I would check the hard drive health (also with any of these tools).
I had to do this a couple of times alternating with the bootrec.exe / options as well as chkdsk / options. Best of luck.

http://www.ocdpcfix.com

from the site in your link .I love finding typo's ,because it makes me feel not alone .lol

"might us well you could buy a new computer."
should be might as well ,not "us well "

Thanks for the suggestions. What I finally did was to connect up to the drive and transferrred anything important to my laptop and reloaded windows. When I tried to run system restore from the repair console and it told me that there were no restore points, I started to think malware. So I guess reformatting was the best option.

good to hear... Yes the reformat/reinstall is generally the best option. Its quick, easy and should result in a well working computer.

you could have had the company in the link posted by OCDPCFIX.com, remotely fix it for you ,lol

this quote from the link on price .

"Please call us first so we can guide you through the process of downloading the software needed and to initialize the remote session. (See link below)
Our rate is 80$/hour for the 1st hour and then 30$each 1/2 hour.
"
yeah right ??!!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.