I found this in a few different places around the 'net - hopefully it's helpful:

How to Change Column Settings in Windows Explorer

This article describes how to change the column settings in Windows Explorer. To change which columns are displayed, or change the width or order of the windows and folders in Windows Explorer:

• In Windows Explorer, click the folder, and then click Choose Details on the View menu.
  • Click to select the check box of each item that you would like to add to the current view, or click to clear the check boxes of items that you do not want.
  • To reorder your columns, click the item (but do not clear the check box), and then click Move Up or Move Down until the items are in the order that you want. Click OK.

Note: You must click Details on the View menu in order to display the details of the files in the selected folder.

To change the width of the columns, use the appropriate method:

Method One

• On the View menu, click Choose Details, and then click the name of the column that you want to adjust. In the Width of selected column (in pixels) box, enter the size that you want, and then click OK.

Method Two

• Widen columns manually by positioning the mouse pointer between two border buttons of the column headings, the pointer turns into a double arrowhead.
  • Click and hold the left mouse button, and then drag the column to the desired width.

This is very helpful indeed. Do you know of any way to apply these changes to subfolders too?

To change the width of the columns, I used method #2 but It does not work . I drag a mouse but the width does not change (there is no double arrow head appear <-> when I point to the border of column). Can you help me to solve my problem ? , I do not like method #1 , It is slow and not practical .

Thanks for a nice information, we have the same problem about changing the column. I've been looking for this, for a long time....... and finally i found here. It would help me a lot..

i often use method#2. it comfortable for me :)

Is there a way in Windows Explorer to Change column width so all folders will open with same changed width setting?

It seems to always open with a narrow "NAME" width and I always have to manually widen it every time. Thanks for your time.

How do you make these column settings stick between sessions? Every time I close out and reopen the columns revert to what they were.

Never mind. I found the totally counter-intuitive answer by opening the "Group by" selection under "View". Apparently if a column choice is selected under "Group by", it totally ignores what you choose under the column selections.

I found this in a few different places around the 'net - hopefully it's helpful:

How to Change Column Settings in Windows Explorer

This article describes how to change the column settings in Windows Explorer. To change which columns are displayed, or change the width or order of the windows and folders in Windows Explorer:

• In Windows Explorer, click the folder, and then click Choose Details on the View menu.
  • Click to select the check box of each item that you would like to add to the current view, or click to clear the check boxes of items that you do not want.
  • To reorder your columns, click the item (but do not clear the check box), and then click Move Up or Move Down until the items are in the order that you want. Click OK.

Note: You must click Details on the View menu in order to display the details of the files in the selected folder.

To change the width of the columns, use the appropriate method:

Method One

• On the View menu, click Choose Details, and then click the name of the column that you want to adjust. In the Width of selected column (in pixels) box, enter the size that you want, and then click OK.

Method Two

• Widen columns manually by positioning the mouse pointer between two border buttons of the column headings, the pointer turns into a double arrowhead.
  • Click and hold the left mouse button, and then drag the column to the desired width.

Good Info cscgal, really love it

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.