I found this in a few different places around the 'net - hopefully it's helpful:

My Computer Won't Shut Down Itself After Installing XP

There are a number of users who have been complaining that their PC will no longer automatically power down/shut off without pressing the power off button on the computers unlike in Windows Me/95/2000. There could be a number of reasons for this, but the main one seems to be that ACPI is not enabled on the computer or in Windows XP:

• Click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options tab.
  • Then click APM > Enable Advanced Power Management Support.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

cscgal, thank you so much. I've been looking for this answer for quite some time now. We have this problem on 3 computers and did not have a solution. Will try as soon as hubby gets the compter powered up again.

inphoenix

I've been having this same problem ever since I installed XP (clean install after getting rid of 98 SE). I looked in my power options. There's no APM tab. I looked in my Device Manager for any hidden APM devices; there are none. I've been in my CMOS, ACPI is enabled in it. I made a registry entry called PowerdownAfterShutDown and set the value as 1. At first it worked, but now I've moved all my stuff over to a new case with a new 400 watt PSU (the old one was 330 w, if that makes a difference).

I'm now back to square one with it not powering off after Windows shut down. This is really driiving me crazy because I can't seem to find any answers online that fit me. Thanks for any help.

Hey geekwannabe, your best bet is to post your question in the Tech Support forums. This forum is directed towards tutorials only and isn't the place to post support questions.

quote:"Click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options tab.
Then click APM > Enable Advanced Power Management Support." end quote

in my Control Panel there is no "Performance and Maintenance " !?!?!?!?!?
i'm running win xp sp1....
where can i find that?

That's a fair question, marijana, in light of the Tip itself.

If you don't see a 'Performance and Maintenance' option in Control Panel, you've obviously switched Control Panel to 'Classic View'. In the taskpane at left of the Window, select "Use Category View" and the Control panel Menu System will reappear, giving you the 'Performance and Maintenance' option.

Of course, you couldalternatively simply double-click 'Power Options' in the Classic View Control Panel to achieve the intended result.

ok, thanks, but (i feel really stupid) i found 'Performance and Maintenance' , and i found 'power management' and now there is no "APM" ?
there is "advanced" tab, but in it there is no 'Enable Advanced Power Management Support' ..

Then check to see if ACPI is enabled in BIOS Setup for the system. See your motherboard manual or contact the support service provided by your Susyem manufacturer for details about how to do that.

thanks, i will do that :-)

i'm having the same problem as marijana, but my computer used to shut down. i looked in the power options, but no APM tab....

Try going to Start->Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs
Check to see if adobe type manager is there
if it is then remove it and you should be set!
it helped me
Good luck :cool:

I have also found that if your computer hangs @ shutdown,it also could be a process that didnt terminate correctly (unload from memory).

Since i installed my new router it happens almost everytime....... (Something isnt exiting correctly with it (or something) I dunno)

yes after i installed a new router my computer won't shut down correctly any more

do you know why?

Try Shuting Down the router before shuting down the PC(This is not a good idea for PC networks). If you have a network try Uninstalling your routers software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.