The Queen of DaniWeb
20,560 posts since Feb 2002
Reputation Points: 1,356 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 929 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 204 [?]
Administrator
Featured
Sponsor

I found this in a few different places around the 'net - hopefully it's helpful:

How to Turn Off Automatic Updates

• Click Start , click Control Panel , and then double-click System.
  • Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click Turn off automatic updating. I want to update my computer manually.
Member Avatar
bmeyette
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Aug 2007
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

The problem I am having is that the options my Automatic Updates window are all grayed out. It is set to "automatic", and it won't let me change anything. I understand this is controlled somewhere in the policies, but I can't find anything about auto updates in any of the policies screens. I also can't find anything in the Registry that looks like it controls this.

I am plagued by the automatic updates coming in and requiring me to rebooot at the most inopportune times. I've gone to services and disabled the automatic updates service, to prevent these updates from coming in, but I still can't get this automatic updates window to allow me to make changes there. I've also gone into Windows Security Center and set automatic updates to "off". I'd really prefer to set the updates to something like "notify me", rather than simply killing all updates by disabling the service and turning off updates.

Can anyone tell me how to un-disable this disabling of automatic updates choices, so I can make my own choices?

thanks

Member Avatar
Serunson
Posting Maven
2,571 posts since Mar 2007
Reputation Points: 413 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 62 [?]

You need to be the system administrator to be able to change those settings.
The path i get to the Automatic Updates is:
Start -> Control Panel -> Security Centre -> Automatic updates -> then pick your option. I am the system administrator so i can see all of the options.

Member Avatar
The Dude
Nearly a Senior Poster
3,430 posts since Dec 2005
Reputation Points: 944 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 78 [?]

Even then i have heard that M$ has installed some update that automatically changes it back to AUTOMATIC (I have read a few ppl saying this has happend to them)

Welcome to the site bmeyette :)

Member Avatar
thunderstorm98
Veteran Poster
1,116 posts since Nov 2006
Reputation Points: 74 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 30 [?]

Microsoft keeps eye on a illegal users its only key for Microsoft to know who is playing with illegal copy of Windows.

Member Avatar
tancomputerlab
Light Poster
31 posts since Dec 2006

why would you want to turn automatic updates anyway?

Member Avatar
Serunson
Posting Maven
2,571 posts since Mar 2007
Reputation Points: 413 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 62 [?]

So that if you are using a non-legit copy of Windows, you are not found out!

Member Avatar
jbennet
17,127 posts since Apr 2005
Reputation Points: 1,618 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 736 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 38 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

Even then i have heard that M$ has installed some update that automatically changes it back to AUTOMATIC

Thats why you go admin tools -> services -> automatic updates and set the service to disabled

Member Avatar
ricksinanju
Newbie Poster
3 posts since Sep 2007

Why turn off updates? Because automatic updates often reboot the PC. You will lose any unsaved work, any settings you have changed, and may cause other problems. For example, if PhotoShop is running and the automatic update reboots the PC, you will lose all custom settings in PhotoShop - even ones that were saved.

Member Avatar
The Dude
Nearly a Senior Poster
3,430 posts since Dec 2005
Reputation Points: 944 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 78 [?]

Yes and its confirmed the idiots ARE DOING THIS!!

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9036058&intsrc=hm_list

The best you can do is TOTALLY SHUT DOWN when your not using your computer!

Member Avatar
thunderstorm98
Veteran Poster
1,116 posts since Nov 2006
Reputation Points: 74 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 30 [?]

Link is broken Dude or may be any problem wih my browser settings.

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

its your browser. works for me on XP SP2 with IE7

Member Avatar
gytrca
Newbie Poster
1 post since Sep 2007

modifify group policy setting:
Start, Run "gpedit.msc", in group policy editor, go to folder:
Local Computer Policy>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Updates.
Double click "Configure Automatic Updates", click "Enabled", under pull-down manu, choose "allow local admin to choose setting".

The problem I am having is that the options my Automatic Updates window are all grayed out. It is set to "automatic", and it won't let me change anything. I understand this is controlled somewhere in the policies, but I can't find anything about auto updates in any of the policies screens. I also can't find anything in the Registry that looks like it controls this.

I am plagued by the automatic updates coming in and requiring me to rebooot at the most inopportune times. I've gone to services and disabled the automatic updates service, to prevent these updates from coming in, but I still can't get this automatic updates window to allow me to make changes there. I've also gone into Windows Security Center and set automatic updates to "off". I'd really prefer to set the updates to something like "notify me", rather than simply killing all updates by disabling the service and turning off updates.

Can anyone tell me how to un-disable this disabling of automatic updates choices, so I can make my own choices?

thanks

Member Avatar
jbennet
Team Colleague
Featured

Local Computer Policy>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Updates.
Double click "Configure Automatic Updates", click "Enabled", under pull-down manu, choose "allow local admin to choose setting".

Thats no good if they have XP home

Member Avatar
bmeyette
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Aug 2007

Your suggestion was perfect, and exactly addressed my problem. After doing what you so clearly suggested, the options are no longer grayed out, and I can set them as I choose
THANKS!!!

Member Avatar
CallumB
Newbie Poster
1 post since Dec 2008

Thanks for the help. Having lost half an hours work to an auto update reboot, finding a quick solution was helpful.
Much appreciated,
CB

Member Avatar
beeerlover
Light Poster
40 posts since May 2009
Q&As Helped to Solve: 6 [?]

Run (Win+R) services.msc ->
Double click on 'Automatic Updates' ->
set startup type to disabled ->
then click stop = no more auto updates

Not only illegit windows users want to disable, but many people like to only install the updates they chose as opposed to letting Bill dump in anything he wants.

Member Avatar
kaninelupus
Practically a Posting Shark
844 posts since Jul 2009
Reputation Points: 275 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 56 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 2 [?]

Not only illegit windows users want to disable, but many people like to only install the updates they chose as opposed to letting Bill dump in anything he wants.

Actually is not all that hard to dupe MS into thinking that "obtained" copy of Windows is perfectly legit, so no worries there (and no I'm NOT going to advice on how to achieve it!) As to why turn off - because I want to control when I apply any updates which require a re-boot, and I don't want my bandwidth choked if DLing something else when Win Update decides to DL any updates.

I usually just set Win Update, to Notify but don not download or install. Never had it switch itself back on, so never really had to do anything else. This way Windows lets me know when updates are there and I can control when is convenient for me to DL and install them.

As to the "letting Bill dump in anything he wants", be grateful they haven't taken the Apple approach of, "here's an update, take it or leave it, but don't expect us to tell you anything about it, or select any elements you don't want". At least in Windows can go though and deselect any updates not required, or get more info on each update element.

Member Avatar
MrDallasIT
Newbie Poster
5 posts since Aug 2009

Click Start, right click on my computer, click properties, and then click on the automatic updates tab, and then click in circle next to "TURN OFF AUTO. UPDATES, and it will now be disabled....

Member Avatar
rupertmckenzie
Newbie Poster
11 posts since Sep 2009
Reputation Points: -4 [?]

I wouldnt worry to shut it down for I m using legit copy. But those who run pirated copy should take care for MS uses updates to track you down

You
View similar articles that have also been tagged: