The teacher first came to me and said that he had problems with the computer. He sas having o shut it down Once every hour (He timed it) and wanted me to fix it.
I looked into it and it was mostly spyware that was clogging up his system. Well, I used Ad-Aware 6 fro Lavasoft, and after the removal, it seemed like things had gotten worst.. but still better.
The computer was shutting down correctly, but not without an illegal Op. message. When the computer boots up, and he logs in, there is a Rundll32 illegal message waitng for him there.
And now there is not an Internet connection. There was one there, but not now. He connected to the Inter via network. he can get on the network just fine to do his grades, attendence and e-mail (Teachers can't live w/o e-mail).

Anyone have any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

First off open Adaware & restore the back-up from your last fix that caused the problem. Do another scan after updating Adaware then carefully check what Adaware has found & select what you want it to fix.
Another good program is Spybot S&D which you can get from http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download Update it B4 scanning.
After the scan is complete, have spybot fix everything marked RED.
On the page that first opens when you start Spybot there is an option to immunise, you should do this. In the immunise section there is also a link to download Spywareblaster. Download that & you can keep it updated by selecting the same link that you use to download it.

Also suggest that you download a program called HijackThis & post a log in the appropriate forum here so that it can be checked thoroughly.

Download HijackThis from http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe & unzip it into it's own, permanent folder, not a temporary one. Start HJT & press the scan button. When the scan is finished the scan button will change to save. Save the log to a text file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET.

And now there is not an Internet connection. There was one there, but not now. He connected to the Inter via network. he can get on the network just fine to do his grades, attendence and e-mail (Teachers can't live w/o e-mail).

One of your likely bits of malware replaced part of your Winsock chain with its own stuff. When you removed it, you "broke the chain". Here is the link to LSPFix, (<- clickable link) which should help.

musemaker replied with:

It worked! And here's the process order...

* Run LSPfix.
* Delete all Dial-up adapters and network protcols.
* Delete all Winsock and Winsock2 registry folders.
* Under Add/Remove programs uncheck all of the listings under Communications.
* Reboot and then add back ALL the Communications items (although netmeeting and chat weren't necessary). It didn't work for me the first time as I have no need for a dial-up adapter, but it is the only way to get Windows to add back winsock2.
* Reinstall network protocol settings.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.